Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

First Hunt

Old 09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Spike

Default First Hunt

Well, I am going for my first pheasant hunt next week. It's a canned hunt on a ranch. My only other hunting experience has been with hogs in Florida.

I was wondering what got everyone interested in wingshooting? Did you try everything else and decide that birds were your thing? Did you start with upland and never look back?

Is a canned pheasant hunt different than other canned hunts or should it be viewed the same way? I know I will have fun and that's what counts but I just wanted to get a few opinions.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I like the action. Nothing's boring and watching the dogs work is a pleasure. Plus, you get to shoot a lot.

By canned hunt I suspect you mean a hunting preserve.

Its not really a canned hunt as far as the term is usually used.

They are going to be hatchery birds. If they raise them right, they can get to be flighty and fun to shoot (other times, the birds sort of suck).

What will be different is that you don't have the benefit of REALLY difficult birds to shoot. Hunt in the wild, and its amazing. The birds can thread through 10 shooters unloading and not get hit. especially as the season goes on.

which doesn't mean that won't happen there, but its not as likely
Old 09-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Spike

Thanks for the response. I figured it wasn't viewed in the same fashion as a high fenced deer hunt.

I think in my neck of the woods the best wild shooting will be grouse and wood****.

I love the idea of a pheasant hunt in the Dakotas. One day...