Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What gun to buy?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Default What gun to buy?

I am taking up bird hunting with my GSP, and need to purchase a gun. I want something that will be well rounded at a good price. I have been told 20ga, but there seems to be a lot of other spec's involved as well.

This will just be something to get me started, so I wan't the cheapest, non-garbage gun there is.

I live on the Kitsap Peninsula, in Washington State (Seattle area, kinda). Wondering where to go, how much to expect to pay?

Thank you!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What gun to buy?

What are you going to hunt?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Pheasant, Grouse, and Chukar.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 870 ~ 26" barrel
I would say if you ever consider hunting ducks in the future then go with the 12 gauge super mag (3 1/2").
You could also buy a rifled slug barrel in the future and hunt deer also...
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Remington 870 ~ 26" barrel
I would say if you ever consider hunting ducks in the future then go with the 12 gauge super mag (3 1/2").
You could also buy a rifled slug barrel in the future and hunt deer also...
Im too looking into buying a shotgun for Dove, Quail and possibly Waterfowl. How much does the Super Mag usually run in a gun shop?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't go wrong with the 870. Remington makes a bazillion of 'em, & they are very versatile, and you can easily customize it as there are alot of parts easily available. I think you can still pick up a decent one for around $300. I'd advise the 12 gauge. Rounds are cheaper & more readily available, & you can get lighter loads for the smaller birds.

I personally use a Benelli SuperNova 12 ga. pump. Set me back $400, & I can put 150 rounds through it @ the sporting clays field & barely feel it. Unfortunately, prices have come up since then...
Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Spike

I live around Gig Harbor and I just started hunting this last season. I hunt for pheasant, quail, chukar, grouse,and dove. I went through this in nov/dec. My choices were the 870 12 guageor benelli nova 12 guage due to pricing and reliability. I got a nova for christmas but I havenot shot it yet. I like the option of 3-1/2" shells if I choose to hunt duck. I am also planning to hunt turkey when the season comes. Good luck on your decision!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 PM

So my only concern is that I am of the female persuasion, and have no prior shooting experience. I was advised that a 12ga may be a little too heavy for me, is this not accurate?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

ummm a good gun is a 870 12gauge pump full choke thats my choice and it works pretty good

Old 01-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Blitz der Vogelhund

So my only concern is that I am of the female persuasion, and have no prior shooting experience. I was advised that a 12ga may be a little too heavy for me, is this not accurate?
If it's mainly upland birds you're going to hunt then you definately get by {very well I might add} w/ a .20 gauge.If you want less recoil you might want to look into a Remington 1100 or 11-87.I have the Reminton 870 in 12 gauge it's been a very reliable,fits me good & I've taken a far amount of game with it.One more point I want to make MAKE SURE THE GUN FIT YOU COMFORTABLELY.This will make a big difference in the way you shoot.
I dont know if this is proper to post here so if it isn't my apoligies to the moderator.
Try this site there's alot of great info on shotgunning:Shotgunworld.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.