Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 what is a good over under shotgun for a decent price? >

what is a good over under shotgun for a decent price?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

what is a good over under shotgun for a decent price?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what is a good over under shotgun for a decent price?

Hurricanespq, you better go back to wikopedia (or where ever you got your info) and reread it. They had to replace the trigger group, not the trigger guard.The trigger groupwouldincludemost of the internal parts, also had to use a heavier barrel.

Also maybe you should reread what i said too. I did not say i would not own anything the military uses, i said i would not buy something for thelone reason the military uses it.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

birddog3412; The trigger guard on the model 500 waschanged out to a metal one so it would be in compliance with 3443G specifications. Before that the model 500 (with the plastic trigger guard) was the only shotgun to pass US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test.
The only model 590 that comes with a heavy barrel is #51663, and is technically a 590A1 due to that fact.
Talk to Mossberg and they will tell you the same thing, or get one of each and compare the differences..doesn't matter to me.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Hurricanespq, First of all i have compared them and know the 590 is a better built gun. You are right the mossberg 590 is the only gun to pass the militaries 3443E test. But did you also know that it is the only gun to go throught the test. After the 3443E test they changed the trigger guard to metal
The upgraded 3443G specifications, required heavier barrel, metal safety, metal trigger group.

Mossberg offers an upgrade from the 500 to the 590. It is a different barrel, metal safety, and and alloy trigger group. also an optional heat sheild. You have to send in your gun and it is about $315.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

birddog3412; I debate whether the 590 is a better built gun. The only significant improvement they put on it is a metal safety. Have you ever heard of a plastic trigger guard breaking? I sure have not.
The Mossberg 500 is the only shotgun to have passed the 3443E test. Yes it is the only one to try. Remington already had a military contract and did not want to risk the 870 failing the test.
The only reason the 590 is in existence is to satisfy the requirements of 3443G.
Most 590's (only 1 does) do not come with a heavier barrel they just attach to the magazine differently, which is why they are not interchangeable with the 500.
If you would like to discuss the differences further lets start another thread or pm me.....I feel bad about jacking the guys thread.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

ok, thats fair
Old 01-10-2009, 10:36 PM

I looked at all of the double barrels high and low, trying to find an over/under with a single triggerfor under a thousand dollars.I want something for bird hunting and occasional trap shooting with family and friends.I checked out a bunch of online reviews and forums, went in to gun stores and held a variety of brands for myself.First thing I willrecommend is don't go off of a picture from a catalog orwebsite, 9 times out of 10, the pictures are way betterthan what you will actually hold in your hands! Also, about anything you research, somebody will have something bad to say about it. I guess what sold me was something completely unexpected.At the firstgun store I went to, and after looking at tons of double barrels, a variety of manufacturers, the guy behind the counter says, the CZ is the best gun for the money. I blew it off, went to another gun store a couple of weeks later, looking at yet some other brand. The guy behind the counter at the other place says the same thing,CZ the best gun for what you are getting. A buddy at work shoots clays competitively, and he owns tons ofshotguns. I started naming off the different guns, and he stopped me once during the conversation only to say thatCZ's are nice guns. He did not say a word aboutthe others.So I bought a Redhead Deluxe 12 gauge. What a great gun. I look at it like this, if you want to know what the best donut is, you ask a fat guy, and if he tells you what it is, it is probably a wise choice tolisten.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: trevorpt

I am wanting to buy a new O/U shotgun for skeet shooting and quail hunting, but i dont want to spend a lot of money... any suggestions on a gun... any gun under $800 would be good
Hey guys, while y'all are in the mood for over/unders check out this link below, I have a really nice Citori for sale here on HNI.

Take care,
Scottie

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3290085
Old 01-17-2009, 07:18 AM

I purchased a CZ Canvasback O/U for $600 and it is my favorite shotgun by far. It came with 5 chokes also.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: gspguy73

I purchased a CZ Canvasback O/U for $600 and it is my favorite shotgun by far. It came with 5 chokes also.
I like that shotgun!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

trevorpt,
The advice you are getting about saving up and buying a nicer O/U shotgun makes sense if you can pull it off. However, if you are firm on what you can spend- $800, I believe the best quality o/u I have seen for that money is a LANBER.Lanber'sare made in Spain.A good friend of mine's sonwas in the exact same situation you are in. He purchased a Lanber 12 gaugeHunter Model for around$750from CDNN.I was very skeptical as I own both a Beretta Silver Pigeon and a Browning Cynergy. However, when he brought itoutto the trap range the first time, I have to admit I was very impressed with the quality, the balanceand how well it shot. It wasas good assome guns I have seencosting $1200.
CDNN also runs great prices on bigger named o/u's. You may want to check them out.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/
http://lockandloadarms.com/

Good luck,
MC2