Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 might start dove hunting this year any tipps >

might start dove hunting this year any tipps

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

might start dove hunting this year any tipps

Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Default might start dove hunting this year any tipps

plzz help
Old 08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: might start dove hunting this year any tipps

take plenty of shells
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that will really help is to make sure you can readily Identify a dove at a long distance by their flight characteristics and sillouette.

Shooting other birds is not too good...unless it's a slow day and you need some trigger time.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

take plenty of shells
I agree for sure! Don't short yourself on shells.
Be patient. Let the dove get within 30 yds before you pull up as they dodge and move quick. Choose shots that you are good at. Look for flyways.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:00 AM

Dove Hunting in the South, Man I can't wait. The firat weekend in September is a holiday although i can't recall what it is. Some have refered to it as dove eve. Opening day scouting has been a passed time when we dididn't own land.
It used to be that you ride around and find a fresh cut field a week before dove season opened. Because, that is were the doves would be. Just ask the man on the combine if you
can dove hunt and he would say hell ya,ya'll going to bring some beer?We would and be welcome. Always picked up our shells, never any trash on the ground, and our cars were out of the field. We didn't want to flare the birds away.
Now the 4 wheel drives and I'm going to go get my deer dog no matter how much of your roads or fields I have to destroy to get it. Have left us with you pay me 50 bucks leave your truck on the side of the road andif I find any thrash you will never be welcome again.
Well, what do you say some folks ruined the good old boys deal for everyone.
Now I have to plant a dove field, rent land and still have the same idiots who ruined free hunting for me trespass on my leased land.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

find where the doves water at and sit there, I usually sit at a windmill in the evenings. If you get a daywhen it is reallyhot, they will for sure be ata water source in the evening.I put out a few decoys too. You really don't need much for camo. A good dog helps too. My dog sits next to me, and when I shoot one, she gets it. All I have to do is shoot and reload.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 AM

BE PATIENT! wait until the birds get within 25 yds, too many people get ansy because of their erratic flight... let a few flyby if you have to, to get a feel for the bird.

wild sunflower patches are pretty good finds also, see how they pattern into the patch and sit accordling

take you a case of shells, i once took 3 boxes thinking that would be enough... last time i EVER did that
Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

LEAD, the bird.. most misses occur because you're shooting behind. If you have a decent hunter with you, he can stand behind you and see the wad coming out, and will tell you if you're shooting behind. Doves can fly 60 miles an hour. The best way to get good, is to do it..

Enjoy it and have a safe season.
God Bless
Bob <><