Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dog Taining Colars

Old 03-03-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Dog Taining Colars

Good Morning Everyone,

I am doing a little research into dog Training Colars, and I would like as much input as I can get. It has been recommened to me that I look into getting the Tri Tronics Upland Special XL. I have also looked at a few Innotek colars such as the Free Spirit II for example. I am wondering what people might be using on their dogs and if they would have any comments on the two colars I mentioned above.

On a side note, I was working my dog on some birds this weekend, and he caught a couple. I know that this is a HUGE NO NO, but I am wondering how I might be able to break him of this habit. I have just begun to work the wing on a stick, will this help?

New to the bird dog family,
Eric
Old 03-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dog Taining Colars

Well I just purchased an older Tri-Tronics 200/LS off the net for $150 and seems to work good. The one you mentioned should be very good as it has more whistels and bells then mine.
Reading some posts on these on another site I feel the Tri-Tronics is the better for battery life - warranty - trade in value ect.

Bird wing should help and don' t see a problem with getting him turned around. Pick a different area (shooting preserve birds?) for training so you don' t get a repeat.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:46 AM

Nulle,

Thanks for the info... I think using a collar along with the wing will steady him. I will let you know how things go. Only draw back is that we have about 8 inches of snow so traing is on hold for a little while at least.

eric
Old 03-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

Tri-Tronics is the better product, hands down. I use a Pro 200 mostly, but I' ve used just about everything at one time or another.

As far as your other problem: Get rid of the wing on a string! All it teaches is sight pointing, and while cute in a puppy, it is a horrible fault in an adult birddog. I have had setters that inadvertently caught birds in the field, and it can be a tough thing to break. My best luck has been derived from taking the dog off of birds entirely for two to six months, teaching whoa during this period to the point where the dog is fully reliable with the command, then reintroducing birds in launchers. When I am sure the dog has made game, I whoa him and launch a bird that can fly away at the same time. After three or four reps of this, the dog pretty much points the birds on his own and holds them with minimal reinforcing of whoa.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:33 PM

My advise is stay away from pen-reared birds! Pen-reared (or preserve) birds only complicate matters by teaching the dog to do what it shouldn' t -- catch birds. If this is your only option, lose the quail and only train with roosters (pheasant), which are less likely to be caught. Also, if you know of an area that holds woodcock, run your dog on them, since they should be back in your area by now.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

I' VE used a DT systems collar for quite some time for the cost and how well they preform I' ve not had to try anything else