Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Stupid House Cats!!

Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

cats are actually very smart if you know that they're gonna be there then watch you thats your thick-headed fault and same with the other one if you know they're gonna jump on your lap then wait for it then push them off sheesh
and they know that eventually you'll crack about the food thing
Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you find out how the cats were getting into your pen?
Yes I did.. They have tunneled under the pen. Where they tunnel they find weak spots in the rocks I have laid around it. Plus the chicken wire runs down or out roughly a foot that is all buried by the rocks I banked against it.

Sorry to hear Phil. Are trying to raise them for dog training or increasing population near you?
I was using them for both as well as trying to get my son into hunting with my dogs.. I have given up on this project for this past year. However I am concidering trying it again in the year ahead. I will be purchasing another live trap to help me out to catch a few more of those cats. I am pretty sure where they are coming from as another one has caught roughly 25 of those cats about a mile away.. A lady keeps getting them after an unwanted cat gets dropped off. She does have much money and trys to keep them. Of coarse they keep breeding and running wild. Then the next thing you know I have a problem with them.. I have saw only 3 around recently but no doubt if I get my bird pen back up they will be back..
Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

cats are actually very smart if you know that they're gonna be there then watch you thats your thick-headed fault and same with the other one if you know they're gonna jump on your lap then wait for it then push them off sheesh
and they know that eventually you'll crack about the food thing
Actually you have no idea about house cats whether wild or tame do you..
Old 01-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Yes I did.. They have tunneled under the pen. Where they tunnel they find weak spots in the rocks I have laid around it. Plus the chicken wire runs down or out roughly a foot that is all buried by the rocks I banked against it.
I am considering using more of a wire panel with 2" squares instead of chicken wire - more like a hog panel. Then bury this about 6" into the rock and soil. Can't go much deeper without a jackhammer.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Spike

Without a doubt! The pen will be guarded with extreme prejudice!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

I ran an electric fence wire 6' off the ground all the way around my pens. Works great! You can hear em howl all the way in the house. This works for any thing that may take a like'n to your birds.
One warning though- don't let your bird dogs get shocked. I only run my fence when the dogs are kenneled up.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, thanks for following up after so many months. Makes an interesting ending as to who the culprit(s) was/were!

If I didn't already see your reply, my first guess would have been raccoons. They are notorious for killing captive birds.

iSnipe