Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

First hunt

Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default First hunt

howdy, I usually hang out over on the archery forums, but figured I would post some pics from my pups first live bird training. He had a blast, snapped up a bunch of points, and did a great job. He is 7 months old.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First hunt

Congrats to you and your pup on his first live bird traininghunt, and I hope your pup continues to improve.( I am sure he will )
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

hopefully! he is a smart guy! doesnt like brush so much, but he is big (65lbs)so there is no crawling through some stuff. still a little gunshy, but we'll work that out slowly. Overall I couldnt be happier. everyone tells me setters have ranging problems and are stubborn untill they are about a year old, but he did great!!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great pics!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Fork Horn

Fantastic, great foto's
Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

hopefully! he is a smart guy! doesnt like brush so much, but he is big (65lbs)so there is no crawling through some stuff. still a little gunshy, but we'll work that out slowly. Overall I couldnt be happier. everyone tells me setters have ranging problems and are stubborn untill they are about a year old, but he did great!!
Setters can have a ranging problem but, I feel it is more on how you train it. I run the Irish and they say they are stupid and very stubborn..LOL They do tend to have a stubborn steak in them . However it is not very bad once you get them to understand what you want. I would be working on the gun shy stuff to make sure it doesn't go the other way. I also only let mine here any real loud noise when there are birds flying. Now when ever I get the shotgun out he is already at the door waiting..
Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 PM

The ranging problem doesn't happen until the dog figures out how to hunt. As soon as he does he will want to hunt for himself. If you correct this right when it happens and re-enforce the dog is hunting for you,ranging won't be a big issue. It can be tricky sometimes because you don't want to break the dog's spirit either.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine
Setters can have a ranging problem but, I feel it is more on how you train it. I run the Irish and they say they are stupid and very stubborn..LOL They do tend to have a stubborn steak in them . However it is not very bad once you get them to understand what you want. I would be working on the gun shy stuff to make sure it doesn't go the other way. I also only let mine here any real loud noise when there are birds flying. Now when ever I get the shotgun out he is already at the door waiting..
i love my irish setter!!! you have a red one as in avatar? looks like a good looking dog!! pics?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I do have a few pics, but, I can not get them to get them together like you did.. Here is one of Rusty he is my favorite out of 2 Irish setters.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is another 1 of him, I can get him to stay in close or range out if I want him to. He knows the difference when we are hunting. Keep the training more like a game to him and he will come out fine. I also noticed you didn't have a check cord on him either. As his training advances you should use 1 a few times to help you and him out some. If you can get someone to hold the cord when a bird comes up and you shoot it so he can be released after you give the OK will help you out alot.. Good luck with him.

Quick Reply: First hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.