Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

South Dakota Trip

Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM

Default South Dakota Trip

Hello, new to the site and new to pheasant hunting, just moved to WI last year and started hunting them this year. A couple friends and myself are looking to head to SD next season but am wondering where to start? Is there a better place in the state than another to hunt the public land? any advice would be much appreciated. Planning on heading out this summer sometime to look around before next season. Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: South Dakota Trip

I have never been to SD but I have heard a lot of people talk about it. Since no one has said anythign to you yet then I will just chime in for you. Its SD so there are numerous birds everywhere but from what I have read on the internet, I would say that the Southeast Corner of SD is about the best spot. Like I said you are goign to find birds about anywhere they take over 2 million birds a year and my state of Illinois takes 200,000. I hope I was some help and have fun.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

No pheasants here. They were all killed this season.......
Old 01-05-2008, 03:39 PM

Good to hear and thanks for the advice, so your telling me then that when we do make the trip there won't be anyone out there hunting with us! any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:35 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot of good places to hunt. You can get a map of public hunting ground from the SD Game and Fish. Start there. I would look from Mitchell to Winner. There are quite a few public areas between the two and all are good hunting. If you come mid to late season you won't have much problem with other hunters.

The first 3 weeks of the season are really crowded. After that its not bad at all. You should be able to find plenty of places to hunt and plenty of birds as well.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 AM

mez, thank you for the tips, i will get the maps and take your advice, so it is best for me to probably not come opening week/weekend? better a few weeks into the season?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting public ground I would come the 3rd weekend at the earliest. Opening 2 weeks are a mad house. There will be people parked at the public areas at 4am waiting and you can't hunt until noon. Come later in the season. There will still be plenty of birds and no crowds. You will still have a great hunt.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Thank you for the tips, I will work to plan accordingly. Could you explain what ditch hunting is that i hear people talk about doing out there and is this along any roadway or what is the regulations on this and is this a good idea or not?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: CPpoosen

Thank you for the tips, I will work to plan accordingly. Could you explain what ditch hunting is that i hear people talk about doing out there and is this along any roadway or what is the regulations on this and is this a good idea or not?
Ditch hunting should really be illegal. To many are tempted to tresspass or shoot birds over private property. I dont like "road hunting" its not really hunting get out and do some walking. If youhunt hard all day maybe take a bird or on your way back to town, dont make a day of it or plan all filling limits.
Your hunt will be much more enjoyable if you get out and walk especially if you have dogs.
As far asd the laws on it,, it seems to change every year its actually very debated every year. Its best to review the laws in the SD handbook every year.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 AM

Goog to find out a little bit more of what it is exactly, i had heard of it but didnt know the details. Sounds like its not that great of a way to hunt, dont want to be trespassing on others property.

Quick Reply: South Dakota Trip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.