Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What's your dog?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 AM

Default RE: What's your dog?

I think super G got it right. The best dog is whatever dog you happen to have in your kennel at the time! I always hunted setters and loved them, never wanting a pointer because I was always told that they were poor companion dogs; never wanted a Brit because the two I hunted behind just plain sucked! (since then I've hunted behind a great Brit) Jack was a fine dog and very well trained.

Well, three years ago my setter needed to be retired and I got a deal on a two year old pointer I just couldn't pass up. To my surprize she is just the opposite of all the negitives I've ever heard about pointers. She is the most loving dog I have ever owned. She just loves to be spoiled, and yes she can hunt circles around any setter I ever owned. I guess the bottom line is a dog is what you male it.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Here is my boy, Jess, he has been a great hunting companion as well as a family dog.

Nemont
Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Labrador for both upland and waterfowl
Old 12-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

here is results of the EUKANUBA dog contest in harrisburg,pa.

i could not make it this year.

SPORTING CLASS which is us on the breeds that HUNT.

1.springer spaniel
2.english setter
3.german shorthair pointer
4.IRISH setter

that should make phil happy..

lab,brittany,pointer,beagle did not get in first 4..

Old 12-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am glad to see the Irish there but that was show dogs and not the real hunters, after all EUKANUBA funneled money to PETA once and i am sure they will again... I am not sure if you have actually seen the field line of the Irish setter? They are very different in hair style as well as hunting style LOL..

BTW Nemont, looks like a good working lab you have there, and it's great when you can take your children hunting...
Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 PM

What a great bunch of gun dogs. We have used several differant breeds in the past. Right now I am hunting behind a pointing black lab.

Dave Olsen
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 AM

Nemont, that first pic with your boy is CLASSIC Americana!!

I love it - Great pic
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

very nice pictures..
i have camcorder that takes pictures,i am going to learn how to do it.
i also am looking into raising pheasants,if i can find place to release them,its getting hard with liability issue to find a farm that will let you on it.
all because a stupid hunter was shooting at running doe and shot woman in neck hanging her clothes.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM

This is my first bird dog. Maverick is a French Brittany

Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 PM

What about a Drahthaar. A true versatile dog. Points tracks retrieves, blood tracks deer, waterfowl and as you can see kills the pesky yote when they arise. This one was chased into chest deep water and killed it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.