Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Rocco's First Hunt

Old 11-08-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Rocco's First Hunt

We went on our first hunt last weekend for opening pheasant in Kansas. He pointed a couple of hens but the cocks all seemed to flush way out before he even got near them. All the dogs worked very hard but sure seemed to love every second of it. It was four days and Rocco sure acts like he is feeling it. Every since we got home he hobbles around like an old man with droopy eyes, all he wants to do is sleep. I guess his poor paws are sore too. The other dogs actually had spots of their pads torn up (1/8 to 1/4 inch) but he didn’t. He’s just tender footed and stiff legged for a few days I guess. I hope he will be ready for opening quail by this weekend though.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rocco's First Hunt

My Brittany always ends up in the same condition. Have to keep an eye on them and make them rest it seems like. I am heading to Kansas this weekend for Pheasant and Quail. The weather looks like it is going to be about 25 degrees too hot though. Glad you had a good time.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:14 AM

Check your dog product catalogs......a "tuff pad" product is offered in most of them. It seemes to help toughen those tinder pads up a bit. If you get a torn pad you could loose the use of your dog for an entire season. I know they make dog boots but I've never tried them.

I made the mistake one time of not trimming a dog's toe nails prior to a grouse hunt. She split a nail and it got infected. Cost me a trip to the vet and lost use of my dog for 3 weeks. Learned a lesson on that one........

Old 11-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

You can also use new skin on dogs paws for cuts and stuff. I always take
new skin and neosporin for my dogs cuts.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM

I ordered some "TUF-FOOT" today.

http://www.tuffoot.com/about/dogs.htm