Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

HOW TO MAkE YOUR DOG SEEN

Old 11-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: HOW TO MAkE YOUR DOG SEEN

as for collars, you really cant see them to good when sun is out and dog running thru brush even on BLACK DOG.
as for bell,i dont think roadhunters will hear bell inside their trucks with engine running.
I am sorry you feel that way, Day Glow collars are designed to glow in the daylight ( Even on a Black dog ) and can easily be seen......They are Day Glow think about it.. For as far as a bell they would need to be death not to hear it even with a motor running. Unless the exhaust is off it and they keep reving it up. I was trying to help you out but, I guessI can't..
Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use a quick spot vest - just runs along the back and sides of the dog- belly is openand works well.....or youmight consider a beeper collar - that will make those guys think twice!

For your bell just use a big key ringtype split ring and runthe collar through the ring. Is what I do.

JW
Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

my collars are about 3 inch wide or so.
today was first day with bell on, i like it .
makes me feel a lot better.
when i get near roads, i make sure i listen for truck and call my lab back to me.

today, road hunters all over, i cant believe they spend all that gas riding just to shoot a grouse/turkey .
some are drinking beer also and throwing cigarretes out window.

these are ones that shoot at your dogs thinking they are coyotes from road.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 AM
JW
Super Moderator

And if it is tha bad with Raod hunters and people who shoot from cars/truckscall the Game Warden and let him or her know! They'll get 'em!

JW
Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I dont know how the heck they can afford to road hunt! I park my truck as soon as I can and for as long as I can. I think the bell helps, I dont like it because it gets old after a day but if it keeps the dog safe. I have a hard time with the vests for my dogs, they never stay on.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Cabela's Chest protector for my pudelpointer. I only use it when we hunt public or when the fields are tall. Don't have a pic of it on her but this is the link to it from Cabela's...if it works. Her e-collar's got a locator so I don't use a bell. They work well too.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0039956660078a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=dog+vest&N=4887&amp ;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1& Ntt=dog+vest&noImage=0

I agree with Martlet. If someone's eyeing up my dog, they better think of dropping me first.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

so far, i am using high vis collar with bell riveted on it.
when i am coming out of woods now near dirt roads,i listen for road hunters coming and i call my lab back to me and put leash on him.

just to dangerous .when i saw 2 roadhunters with can of beer in their hands, cigarettes smoking and no teeth in their mouths come by babbling out window,i am watching my dog much more careful now.

what the h is this world coming too.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

If your dog doesn't range too far, the bell will probably work. If he does range far, however, the bell will interfere with him hearing any commands you give. I use the blaze collar plus we hunt with a beeper collar that I can turn on and off from my ecollar remote.

I also tend to keep my dog out of the woods during deer season. Too many stupid people in the woods.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mustad

If your dog doesn't range too far, the bell will probably work. If he does range far, however, the bell will interfere with him hearing any commands you give. I use the blaze collar plus we hunt with a beeper collar that I can turn on and off from my ecollar remote.

I also tend to keep my dog out of the woods during deer season. Too many stupid people in the woods.
Heard that. Every year in WI here, weusually have at least 1guy that shoots either a horse, an elk, or some other animal that "looked like a deer", or the freak that likes to pick off people....I gun hunt about 20 miles from where that whole thing went down.

I use verbal commands and when need be, a whistle..my dog rarely ranges out any further than 85 to 100 yards max working between 2 of us. She'll stick closer with just me. My DT collar is black, so it doesn't help me color-wise. I'll probably use the blaze cover on her more. Bought it, might as well use it.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am glad you tried it, it works great for me using them..

If your dog doesn't range too far, the bell will probably work. If he does range far, however, the bell will interfere with him hearing any commands you give.
Here we let them out to bell hereing alot of the time, even more so in Field Trials here. The bell as long as you can here so you can give the signals out will work fine..

Quick Reply: HOW TO MAkE YOUR DOG SEEN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.