Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Shooting dogs on sight.  Advocated at another hunting board >

Shooting dogs on sight. Advocated at another hunting board

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Shooting dogs on sight. Advocated at another hunting board

Old 10-30-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Shooting dogs on sight. Advocated at another hunting board

Hunters advocating shooting dogs on sight. Including sporting dogs and dogs w/tags.

I'm so mad I can't see straight.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=579381
Old 10-31-2007, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting dogs on sight. Advocated at another hunting board

Kinda scary, I bird hunt with my two setters all the time. I also bowhunt every chance I get. I work very hard not to disturb anyones bowhunt when I am out with the dogs, if I see a that someone is in the woods I just find another spot. I would have a hard time just shooting some dog...what if my dogs gets out to far and ends up under a hunters stand?

On the idea of dogs after deer, this is just wrong. Dogs should not be allowed to chase deer. My dogs know that if they even think about it....ZAP! They dont bother with it.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 AM

Ive been on both sides of this issue. I was sitting in a blind on State land in my stand with my bow. Im an avid bowhunter and hunt with it every chance I get. Im set up onthe edge of a tree line where I know they are passing though, trying to catch them on their way to bedding areas in tall grass and some aspens. Ive seen and harvested multiple deer from here.

Its all quiet, had been in my stand maybe an hour for the evening hunt and I hear *dingle dingle dingle* to my left side.

Thought to myself"WTF is that?" "DNR?" "Is it a dog?"

My truck was parked about a mile up the road as the 2 track in is enough to rip off your oil pan, and the mature trees above ensure nobody with a raised truck is coming through either.

Sure enough here comes this older guy walking through with his gun on his hip and a real nice looking English Setter working the clearing. They stink it up, took them a good 20 minutes to get out of the woods. They were trying to get to the road. It was late and the dog looked like it had been going all day. It happens. Its state land. I saw the dog well before I saw the hunter and yeah I could have shot it. The thought never crossed my mind though. He's got his right to be here too and I respect that.

I was also hunting over my buddies Brittany and someone informed us that he saw the dog as it came through into a clearing from a heavy brush line. He saidwe were lucky that he had seen the dog and not his hunting buddy. Cause he would have shot it. ON STATE LAND!!! Dog always wears a vest to protect it and help ID it because we bird hunt on state land.

I don't understand this mentality. So if someone is passing through an area do they get the 3 S treatment too? Thats unbelievable!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

If you follow along on that post, you can see how ugly it gets a little later on with the hunting dog owners versus the morons who shoot first, ask questions later. Apparentlysome of theseguys are having trouble deciphering lost dogs and feral dogs, and the other side doesn't care either way.What a bright group there....

I can tell you with utmost certainty that if I'm on STATE land hunting pheasants and someone arrows my pointer...they'd be lucky to get out of the woods minus some help and some #5's in their a$$. That kind of crap is incredibly illegal and unbelievably unethical. And you wonder where all the fodder comes from for the anti's. The only rogue animals that can be shot here in WI are feral pigs, to my knowledge.

If you can't tell the difference between a mangy dog that's living in the wild andrunning deer and someone's prized hunting dog that's lost and passing on thru, you shouldn't have any hunting privileges....simple as that.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I hope that the hunters in my area are not as stupid as the guys talking on that board. I agree with canned heat, if some guy shoots one of my setters with ablaze collar andbell....the next arrow they nock better be for me.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 PM

It's pretty embarrassing to admit you are a bowhunter when you read crap likethat.Those guys are morons.They make bowhunters look pretty ugly.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:23 AM

Very very sad. I sure hope ol' Rocco doesn't get too far away from me this weekend. He's a good boy, but he's young and has never seen a deer. I will zap him if he goes for one, but it sounds like a lot of those folks are "kill on sight" no matter what. I honestly can't say what I would do to someone if they shot my dog.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I had another pheasant hunter threaten to shoot my Brittany 7 years ago when she was just about a year old. They were hunting accross the road and she saw there dog and ran over to see it. I didn't run a training collar on her yet so I had to go get here. The guy said " get your god damn dog out of here or it's going to get shot". I got my dog but watched my back also. There is a lot of strange people out there. Makes a persons views on hunting a little different when you run into these people.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

its like dirtr doz movie,general said to the sergant that shot his private in back for running away with med supplies.
he said,YOU LET SOMEONE SEE YOU DO IT.

shoot the low lifes out of tree if they shoot your dog.
last year my lab was shot at by road hunter hunting grouse,he shot at him thinking it was coyote,i believe.

i ran after thethe vehicile but could not catch up.

today i was grouse hunting, road hunter came down road, opened the truck door and was loading his 22 cal to shoot my dog again..
i fired up in air,he jumped back in and floored gas pedal.

i have just orange color ,3 inch wide onlys on my dog, those coats are to hot fordog.
so, i can understand hunter thinking my dog is coyote but they should make sure it is one and not be shooting out car windows..
i may go to bell on my dog also,real nuts out there at times..
Old 11-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Super G Force

I had another pheasant hunter threaten to shoot my Brittany 7 years ago when she was just about a year old. They were hunting accross the road and she saw there dog and ran over to see it. I didn't run a training collar on her yet so I had to go get here. The guy said " get your god damn dog out of here or it's going to get shot". I got my dog but watched my back also. There is a lot of strange people out there. Makes a persons views on hunting a little different when you run into these people.
i turned in a local guy for doing just what you said last week, he had gun pointed like he was going to use it on me .
he tried to sayTHESE ARE MY BIRDS AND YOU KNEW WE WERE HUNTING IN THIS SPOT.
its PUBLICLAND and some feel they own it.
i even had 2 pipeliners drunk throw rocks at my boat bass fishing because they said i was a BASS FISHERMAN ,not a trout fisherman..

well,now you know why i carry pistol all time now,no way i am going to get mugged etc by nuts i am seeing today.

Quick Reply: Shooting dogs on sight. Advocated at another hunting board

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.