Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

gun question

Old 11-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: gun question

My brother is left eye dominant right handed. He has a Beretta 390 and a Browning Gold and now a Beretta Silver Pigeon (which happens to be the one he shoots best). He shoots left handed. I have three girlfriends with the same problem. One shoots a Benelli autoloader, another shoots a Browning Gold and a couple of O/U's (she's very active in clays games) and the third shoots a Franchi O/U.

Be aware that most manufacturers charge more for a left handed model just because they can-supply/demand.

The Berettaautoloadersaresolid quality guns. Our local range rents them. You might check with some local ranges to see if they have any that you can try out....
There are some well made guns out there at reasonable prices. Take your time and find one that feels good in your hands. Have it fitted to you by a gunsmith and your shooting will improve.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

Mossberg 500/835
Remington 870
Benelli Nova
NEF Pardner

Old 11-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

you are right,left handed guns do cost a lot more.

i have a left hsnded BEAR KODIACK recurve bow from 1965 and had it apprasied for 1500 dollars.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

I would look at the Winchester SX-3. I'm not sure what you're looking to spend, but for under a $ 1,000 you're looking at a gun that is as realiable as any gun on the market; including those more expensive. Without a doubt, it's the best value on the market right now. If you're going to use it for upland game, I'd wouldn't go longer than a 26" barrel. It will pattern the same as any other length. If you like to have a bit more swing when you hunt ducks, just buy an extended choke system.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mustad

I would look at the Winchester SX-3. I'm not sure what you're looking to spend, but for under a $ 1,000 you're looking at a gun that is as realiable as any gun on the market; including those more expensive. Without a doubt, it's the best value on the market right now. If you're going to use it for upland game, I'd wouldn't go longer than a 26" barrel. It will pattern the same as any other length. If you like to have a bit more swing when you hunt ducks, just buy an extended choke system.

Good luck.
as for length,we all have favorite length.

for people under 5/11 i have found that the 26 inch on semi auto feels better to them.
5/11 up28 inch feels better.
i am 6 ft tall,my arms are 34 inchs on my shirts.
the 26 inch felt to much like muzzle of barrel had all weight.
28 inch felt real balanced and swing was much better.
trust me, 2 extra inchs on barrel in brush hunting wild grouse over flushing dogmeans nothing over 26 inch.
we are only talking about 2 inchs.

i also use my BERETTA URICKA FIELD 391 12 ga.to have fun shooting clays with friends.
26 inch barrel does not do as good as 28 inch.

as for using entended chokes, that may work to balance gun but my beretta came with 5 chokes and they are real expensive if you would buy them to extend your length, they go inside.

my opinion, stay with 28 inch barrel on semi-auto for better BALANCE,balance is nice when you are swinging thru pheasant at 40 yds which wil be shots you will get after birds are hunted awhile.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 870 all the way.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pheasantfanatic

Remington 870 all the way.
rem 870 is fine gun for money, only downfall, is weigh.
i hate weight as you get older.
most of us buy gun, we have it all our lives.
i sold 4 of my guns and got 850 dollars.
i took that money and bought the BERETTA URICKA FIELD 391 12 GA.
best move i ever made in my life.what a gun.20ga is unreal but i like 12 ga.

so, what i am trying to say, if you are young, and have 30,40,50 years of hunting ahead,save or borrow money and buy great semi-shotgun,beretta/benilli/franchi ARE BEST.

my neighbor hunts alot,he uses a remington 1187,its awful to carry in woods.
he said, i cant see putting 850 into shotgun.
he just bought a new chevy truck,cost him 39,000,his old one that he paid 34,000 for, trade in was 12,000,lost 22,000 from original cost..

he is worrying about cost of shotgun from 400 dollars to 850 dollars?
gun will APPRECIATE to 850 dollars in 5 years USED.
that truck, he lost 22,000,yes 22,000 on trade in..

so, what i hope you see, we waste more money on other things and never get money back, but on a BERETTA URICKA FIELD 391,you get great shotgun that will make hunting more fun and still be worth what you paid 30 years from now........................
Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the 870 my personal favorite.

Or the Mossberg 500 my personal gun.

Its the raddiest, noisiest, cheapest, best shooting, easiest to use, bird killingest, best gun for the money in my opinion.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

no matter which gun you like,check out our site,its full of great info for us,of course, it has BERETTA topic which i am active in and has other topics for your gun.
do search of your gun and it should get you to your model..

www.shotgunworld.com