Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Breed suggestion?

Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Breed suggestion?

A good bird dog for the thicker tangles of Michigan. Looking to point, hold, flush, and retrieve to hand. Most of our woods are pretty thick, but there is some farmlands if you have the right connections. So I can't have a dog ranging ultra far Ill never get a chance to shoot.

Looking to have them work a bit closer to me, but still point and hold them.

Thoughts? GSP? ES? Other? Wife does not have any use for Brittanys, otherwise its pretty open. Thats the only comprimise I have to give and honestly thats too bad in my book. No waterfowling, just looking for a good upland dog. Have hunted over friend's springers and enjoyed it, but looking for more style and something to keep them tight before going up, so I get a better shot.

Just feeling this out right now and looking for some feedback. Thank you....
Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Breed suggestion?

First of all welcome to the forums..

Looking to point, hold, flush, and retrieve to hand.
To point, hold, and retrieve to me is OK, but when you throw flush into the mix well? that will confuse the dog as to what you want it to do. You get it to point and hold point, but why not you flush the bird up? Having the dog point and hold, then get it to flush to me is saying stop holding and pointing for me. Flush em up buddy it's ok so the dog thinks it's ok to flush and then the next thing you know it's no longer pointing for you. I think you get the idea on what I am trying to say.

I am not sure about Michigan but here in maine it gets pretty darn thick, especially in those growing up cuttings. I enjoy hunting with the Irish Setters up here, I can let them run out ahead quite a ways or hold em back if I want to. Here are a few pics of a year ago whenI was giving one a practice run in the spring.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is another with him in a growing up cutting.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

One last pic in a field, today when huntingI use the 2 inch wide dayglow collars with a bell attacked.
As stated above these are older pics dfrom a year ago.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Spike

I had to reply to this. I live in michigan. hunt grouse and pheasent. I like a gsp. they hunt close and have a lot of drive for birds.burrs and sticktights dontgetstuck in there fur.do yourhome work. there is pros and cons to all dogs. find the breed that fits your home and family. your gundog will spend most of its time in the off season.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

First of all welcome to the forums..

Looking to point, hold, flush, and retrieve to hand.
To point, hold, and retrieve to me is OK, but when you throw flush into the mix well? that will confuse the dog as to what you want it to do. You get it to point and hold point, but why not you flush the bird up? Having the dog point and hold, then get it to flush to me is saying stop holding and pointing for me. Flush em up buddy it's ok so the dog thinks it's ok to flush and then the next thing you know it's no longer pointing for you. I think you get the idea on what I am trying to say.

I have had good luck with my Brittany pointing, holding, flushing and retrieving. I think it is probably what each persons dog is capable of. When she points she holds her point until I tell her to flush, then if we take and make the shot she retrieves. Maybe I got lucky with my dog to be able to get her to do that. She is really good in thick and light cover. Her size helps her get in more places also. Hunts Pheasant, quail, prarie chicken and grouse. Just my 2 cents....
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know my dogs are very capable doing what I want them to do my friend.I have never used a check cord on them but, I train them through their natural abilities. I also do not believe in trying to get them to do things that may or may not confuse them.I'd rather teach them to be my hunting buddy so they enjoy doing it with me. The dog pictured above is the same one doing tricks with my children as well. But when it comes down to hunting it's all business. They will also get down low and go through the thickest stuff you can imagine as well as jump over stuff that would seam impossible. Here is a pic of the same dog above doing a trick with one of our kids.

[img]local://91587/7E05490937E949AB98B102D0D66C8907.JPG[/image

Old 10-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Dang itbut they are good looking dogs.......glad to see they are so good at home as well as they are in the field.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MIHunter77

A good bird dog for the thicker tangles of Michigan. Looking to point, hold, flush, and retrieve to hand. Most of our woods are pretty thick, but there is some farmlands if you have the right connections. So I can't have a dog ranging ultra far Ill never get a chance to shoot.

Looking to have them work a bit closer to me, but still point and hold them.

Thoughts? GSP? ES? Other? Wife does not have any use for Brittanys, otherwise its pretty open. Thats the only comprimise I have to give and honestly thats too bad in my book. No waterfowling, just looking for a good upland dog. Have hunted over friend's springers and enjoyed it, but looking for more style and something to keep them tight before going up, so I get a better shot.

Just feeling this out right now and looking for some feedback. Thank you....
only 1 dog for many reasons hunting,home,etc..
small long legged
pointing lab
Old 10-21-2007, 03:48 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I know there are several chatpers of NAVHDA in Michigan. Visit www.NAVHDA.org. There is the Michigan and Northern Michigan chapter. All lower pennisula based. If in the Upper part there are quite afew chapters in Wisc.

Now the reason I say this is you will see a wide variety of pointing breeds local to your area. And you wll meet many people so ask questions. NAVHDA is the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Assoc. which was formed to help train you to train your own versatile pointing hutning dog before and after the shot on both land and water.

JW

Quick Reply: Breed suggestion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.