Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Vizslas = Best Dog To Hunt With >

Vizslas = Best Dog To Hunt With

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Vizslas = Best Dog To Hunt With

Old 10-11-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Vizslas = Best Dog To Hunt With

Most intelligent breed of all the sporting dogs.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Spike

Default RE: Vizslas = Best Dog To Hunt With

Oh boy, it'll be interesting how this thread goes. Personally though, I agree. I like the whole "package"(general hunting skills, personality, temperment) of my Vizslas, but GSP's tend to be better hunters. I have found that GSP's often have that hard headed, hunt till you drop mentality, whereas the Vizslas are softer in comparison. Both temperaments have their pros and cons. As long as I'm hunting with a dog, I'm happy.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 PM

I guess that makes sense. They are so smart they wait for you to find the birds and then they point. As far as the best dog to hunt with, You always have to cross ditches. Maybe since they are always under your feet you can just step on them to get across.
A Bridge that you don't have to carry. Smart Idea
Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Spike

My Lab can beat up your vizslas
Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to laugh at you on this one..., butI am not into arguing this stuff on here.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:42 AM

Guys: It's not the breed that makes the "best" bird dog.It's the individual dog and the training it receives.I would much rather own a dog (of any pointingbreed ) that has received quality training from a trainer that understands there are no shortcuts when it comes to training a pup vs. a dog of noble heritage and little training.

I have hunted over E.P, E.S., GPS, Britts, Wirehairs,Vizslas, and Labs. of various abilities, and desire. It has been my observation that their is no"best breed" they all have their own personalities, qualities both good and bad. In fact, of these dogs the Vizsla was one of the worst! It wasn't the dogs fault.....it was his master.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Spike

I agree. i would put my lab up agiast almost any dog any day. she points quail and pheasants and never breaks. In the duck and goose blind shes amazing. The most versitle dog ive hunted with
Old 10-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eelriver

Guys: It's not the breed that makes the "best" bird dog.It's the individual dog and the training it receives.I would much rather own a dog (of any pointingbreed ) that has received quality training from a trainer that understands there are no shortcuts when it comes to training a pup vs. a dog of noble heritage and little training.

I have hunted over E.P, E.S., GPS, Britts, Wirehairs,Vizslas, and Labs. of various abilities, and desire. It has been my observation that their is no"best breed" they all have their own personalities, qualities both good and bad. In fact, of these dogs the Vizsla was one of the worst! It wasn't the dogs fault.....it was his master.

I'll agree with that. I have hunted over several different breeds of dogs and they were all, for the most part, great hunting dogs. I just got a Chocolate Lab and she is going to turn out to be a good hunting dog. I have seen other labs that didn't know a pheasant from a mouse. Most of the success of a hunting dog comes from it's training that the owner gives it. Sure, it helps to have a good pedigree and all of that, but a lot of it comes from a dog loving what it does in the field and knowing that it's master is happy with it's performance.

Wow, what a sermon!!!!I think I just wrote the longest post I have ever written on the forums!![8D]