Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
and so it ends(upland bird season) >

and so it ends(upland bird season)

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

and so it ends(upland bird season)

Old 01-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default and so it ends(upland bird season)

sorry for swipping your line big lead but it's appropriate. season ended her in ILL yesterday has been a good season lots of wild birds good dog work and long time friends. but on a down note my female shorthair will be going into semi retirment after this yr. limited to short hunts and maybe so preserve birds she still has the will but physically she's slowing down alot looks like i'll be starting a pup this summer to pair up with ol' spotty (my male).
How has everyone else done.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:34 PM

Default RE: and so it ends(upland bird season)

Flushed and harvested a few birds this year. It just does not seem to be picking up. Used to see more birds in the wild, but I still greatly appreciate the ones that go up!

I think I will try ruffed grouse again in the coming years, when the 10 year cycle turns.

Go Bucks!<u></u>
Old 01-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

well..my friends dad and mom got a devorice and thats who i went bird hunting with mainly..only thing my dad does is occassional busting of brush for some grouse as far as bird hunting...i did manage to bag my first woodcock this year and my first crow....i think thats all the birds i shot this year...kinda sad..normally its filled with grouse..ringnecks...dove...geese...ducks...chuckar s the guy raised....and all kinds of birds...o well nothing i can do except try and try to get a bird dog...wonder if my pitbull will point for me?!?! lol....
Old 01-11-2003, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about your folks mauser this comes from one who's been right where you are. I learned bird hunting on my own and got my start from an old family freind who loaned me an old 12 ga. single for a year and took me out once but the seed was planted and the rest was shall we say history. Keep after em learn to self reliant if you can drive try to get permission to hunt yourself and don't be afraid to introduce your friends to hunting after they take the hunter safty course and don't hunt in groups larger than 2-3 for quite awhile you'll learn who's safe and who isn't GOOD LUCK

Old 01-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Spike

Mauser.I beleive you and I live in the same state.I'm pretty sure I've seen your posts on another board.You may recall my name there its very similar to here without&quot;the_q&quot;.Should you not be way across the state from me,I'd be more then happy to have you tag along with me and my Pointers if your intrested.Take care,Jackson..
Old 01-14-2003, 06:20 PM

Jackson,
That is a great thing to do even if he is crossed the state. Exposing kids to hunting & fishing is the best thing we can do. It helps kids stay out of trouble & helps keep hunting & fishing alive.

There is NO such thing as a bad day HUNTING
Good Luck & Good Hunting
Dan
Old 01-15-2003, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well Hoss, I bet this is the 2 or third year in a row that I haven't bird hunted. I just haven't had the urge lately. My treestand and bow have been calling way too hard lately. If I am heading out hunting without my bow, I just feel lost anymore!! Besides that, I don't have anywhere to bird hunt. I am sure I could muster up a few little spots if I wanted. I don't think my shorthair has ever seen the field in a hunting scenario and I think it is a tad late for her to start. She is pushing 10 years old.

Good Luck with them Turkeys this year Hoss.

CYA

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Moderator Cup Webpage
www.geocities.com/moderatorcup

Old 01-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks bowman I've got my permit for ILL. in my gun safe (finally broke down and bought one) will be in so. ILL with dave april 18-23 and the next week I'll be in MO. should be great

Old 02-09-2003, 04:20 PM

Hoss,
Season was great the time out was limited do to a litter of pups. Instead of going north for grouse and woodcock and enjoying the time of year the leaves are down, well it did not work out. Leaves were up longer this year than in previous years remembered. I did have some luck before the pups were born and some quick hunts around the house afterwards. I ended the year real well had some great hunts gave some birds up to be mounted and even had some mounted for myself. I had gotten two sichuan hybreds this year and one will adorn my wall hopefully for a lifetime. Another mount was a triple curl mallard drake which unfortanely due to circumstance has eluded me, either the dog took feathers out or I shot it up, one time I left a pup in the blind only to come back and witness her peeling the belly feathers out of the bird I was intending to have mounted etc. etc.. Anyway it worked out well with a story behind both birds. Got a large 9 point buck which I should be getting back soon as well. And the two pats and two woodies (wood ducks) I gave to a friend for him to mount came out nice, I hope he enjoys viewing the mounts as much as I enjoyed hunting them. Besides all that my freezer is full of wild game and I will be eating good again this coming new year.

Now for some insight on your dog which I am sorry to hear. I hope it is not arthritic but if it is just muscles and age this may help your old dog. First if I hunt for long periods of time (all dayers) and multiply it by consecutive day afield I use a few things that have worked for me in the past and on older dogs. I use 500mg of vitamin C morning and night I also when the dog loses its appetite I add regular yogurt or PLAIN yogurt in its dog food. Not only does the yogurt provide good bachteria but vitamins and fat which the dog is using up at an alarming rate but also gets the dog to eat, they love the stuff so they get the nutrients from the dog food as well. I hope this can keep your dog hunting maybe not all dayers but for a few hours on each trip. Not that a new pup does not sound good but to have what that dog lives for, denied may increase her demise. Besides you can still get a pup and hunt the old one for a few hours with ol'spotty then rotate and let the pup finish the day out with ol'spotty, just a thought.

P.S. Keep her active and in shape, she will not only live longer but have a better quality of life.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was too busy deer-hunting, that I didn' t even really get a chance to do much bird hunting.....

Quick Reply: and so it ends(upland bird season)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.