Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

ONLY 5 DAYS!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Default ONLY 5 DAYS!!!

Well i dont about you guys but im pretty excited for the season opener, im goin for ruffed, spruce, and blue grouse! Ive got the shotty all cleaned and ready to go, bought a few boxes of shells, got my license, now all i need is a bird to shoot at But what i think im most excited for is to get them on the BBQ

Who else here is just as excited as me? The real question is how are the dogs doin, im sure they are gettin pretty antsy right about now tooUnfortunately my dog passed and she used to get so excited once she caught a glimpse of the shotgun
Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM

Default RE: ONLY 5 DAYS!!!

Yeah I really exited,I'm still waiting another 20 days, because I gotta wait for partridge to open, hey your from calgary where do you hunt for ruffed, spruce, and blue grouse?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 PM

I tend to go West of Sundre and Caroline for all three but i also hunt ruffies west of Longview. And Partridge and Pheasant i go out by Vulcan.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 PM

Hows hunting by Sundre, Caroline and Longview, you just hunting on crown land? I really want to go grouse hunting but I dont know anywhere good.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 AM

If you want awesome grouse hunting definitely go west of Sundre and Caroline. Pretty much anything west of Trunk 734 is Crown but if you just look at the map they provide you with in the huntin regs you can see a green boarder line and anything west of that is crown, now there is tons of well roads and cutblocks and cutlines you can hunt, i see TONS of them just off the dirt roads sittin inside the trees. When im hunting for deer out there i usually bag a few driving to different spots i hunt deer, so just drive around and keep an eye out or just walk the cutlines and cut blocks and you should have not problem filling your limit.

As for west of Longview i hunt nothing but private land there and my family are the only people the rancher really lets on but we hunt that land for big game but if i see the odd grouse i shoot them with a survival gun i pack around(holds one .410 shell and one .22 bullet)
Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only have 3 days until dove season starts!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks, I hope I can get out around there this season, that bear country uo there?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:34 PM

Yep there are definitely bears runnin around out there but ive never seen one while hunting.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM

I figured so, what you carry slugs ar buckshot?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:03 PM

I usually just have some slugs in the pocket for easy access, but if a bear were to come i would just fire the bird shot for a warning in the air, then at him if he didnt piss off then i throw a few slugs in and if he continues to come closer hes gunna regret it, but i rarely go walking around out there lookin for grouse cause there are so darn many of them by the roads, most the time when im out of the vehicle hunting i got my 30.06 instead of my shotty.

Quick Reply: ONLY 5 DAYS!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.