Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

GROUSE QUESTIONS

Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 AM

Default GROUSE QUESTIONS

Is it really true that Grouse stay still even when you get in touching range of them? I never hunted them before and I don't think tthey live in Connecticut. I have always wanted to use my 30# bow on them but I can never find them in my woods. In case you were wondering, I don't live in Houston Texas like it says on my profile. I was born there, yes. But I live in CT. Fine woods, here in CT. It's filled with Whitetail's, Cottontail Rabbits, Scavenger Birds, and Woodchucks. And by the way, are Woodchucks a legal game animal to hunt with a bow? I have only seen two WoodChucks so far and always wanted to taste thier meat and keep thier hide. But they are hard to spot for me, believe it or not. This is becuase they look like dead logs. They sit still for ages. One time I wasn't hunting but picking Rasberry's and I waited one out for about 11 minutes. I just crouched down and watched it,yelling atmyself fornot bringing my slingshot or bow with a dozen arrows. But I really do hate the Cottontail's time of day to come out. After scouting with my binoculars and retrieving data about the Rabbits, I learned that they only come out at true dawn, around 4:00 A.M-8:00 A.M, and they come out at sunset because of the cooler tempatures, 5:00 P.M- 8:00 P.M. Not good. My mom won't let me carry a bow around at night, becuase of the Police, and I can't wake up at 3:00 A.M, and get there as soon as possible to get more time for hunting Rabbits, because my mom thinks I need rest, since I am recovering from Lyme Disease (which isn't that bad if you get it early and treated early). WOW!!!!I just got way off subject, went from Grouse to WoodChucks to Rabbits. Im sorry I just like to talk to the only people who do the same things as me. Anyway...............just umm talk back, ok? Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: GROUSE QUESTIONS

Up here grouse do not let you walk up and touch them.. If they did why would anyone want to shoot them? Spruce grouse will let you get pretty darn close but, they are illegal to shoot here..
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM

Well i know ive had a few instances where walking around ive been able to flip them out of my way with my foot, but it really depends on the hunting pressure and if they are also heavily hunted by other predators.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

certain days they hold tighter than others it seems. i know when i am walking too fast because i wont have any flushes. i walk a couple feet and stop. couple feet and stop. if a woodchuck is hard to spot on the ground you'll probably never see a grouse...ive only ever seen one on the ground while hunting. only because its was "clucking" and didnt fly right away. took me a while to spot it. when i did it flew. never even got a shot off and ground pound them with a shotgun. they are well camoflauged and blend in really well. not saying it cant be done....but i find it tough. keep in mind most my hunting is middle of winter when only evergreens are green so the woods arent very thick...but then again i find 99% of my grouse in thick thick woods...stands of pines and hemlocks are always good as well as downed trees, old orchards, nasty grape vine tangles etc.

check your game commission website...see if you got grouse...id almost imagine you did...i got them in PA..and know Maine has them....should be everywhere inbetween..

btw...im hunting ruffed grouse.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

im hunting ruffed grouse.
Same thing here...

I find a lot of them in the thick stuff in early fall when hunting woodcock. The woodcock hold quite tight compared to the grouse here. I normally hunt for woodcock in around saplings and swampy alder swails. The grouse are in with them, or in the cuttings up here eating on old saplings or as stated above old farms around apple trees.