Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Default RE: HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

ORIGINAL: daleh

crazylady,
You are a re Crazy-Beach, and should be a poster child for peta. What the hay are you thinking. taking a baby out and shooting guns around them at less than 2 years old.
(PURE CRAZY)(NO SENSE)(YOU SHOULD BE SPADDED)
Mite's thread "some people should not own dogs"
YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE CHILDREN

Here is the rule of thumb for the real bird hunters and mature adults
As soon as they are responsible with a BB Gun. Around 9-10 years old
get them involved afew times a year save the birds in the trees or on the ground. Away from the dogs. and let them have them.
(same as training a young dog) Too much too soon equals no hunt or no discpiline.
Never start a young bird hunter with a 410
when they are old enough to handle a lite 20 then they can hunt and be succesfull at it.
More than likely this will be around 12-13 years old
I don't know who you think you are but what I've read in these forums you seem to think your opinion is the only one. I'm not going to explain myself to someone like you!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:37 PM

I think the one part of their post I really agree with is not to send a young hunter out with a 410. I have always been told that. Generally not enough shot, and harder for an inexperienced hunter to kill birds with. In my case, it doesn't matter, my son isn';t old enough to shoot anything anyhow. Just want him to tag along inthe field and get a chance to watch the dogs and get a feel for hunting

Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: crazylady

ORIGINAL: daleh

crazylady,
You are a re Crazy-Beach, and should be a poster child for peta. What the hay are you thinking. taking a baby out and shooting guns around them at less than 2 years old.
(PURE CRAZY)(NO SENSE)(YOU SHOULD BE SPADDED)
Mite's thread "some people should not own dogs"
YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE CHILDREN

Here is the rule of thumb for the real bird hunters and mature adults
As soon as they are responsible with a BB Gun. Around 9-10 years old
get them involved afew times a year save the birds in the trees or on the ground. Away from the dogs. and let them have them.
(same as training a young dog) Too much too soon equals no hunt or no discpiline.
Never start a young bird hunter with a 410
when they are old enough to handle a lite 20 then they can hunt and be succesfull at it.
More than likely this will be around 12-13 years old
I don't know who you think you are but what I've read in these forums you seem to think your opinion is the only one. I'm not going to explain myself to someone like you!
Well then,
Explain your Crazy Non-Sense,
I encourage you to find a resonable person,who takes babies hunting.
My Opinion is based on alot of experience, notmyths or redneck ingenuity.
From the begining of time no one in the history of hunting has ever done what you have.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

[:@]Dale you seriously have an issue....If crazylady wants to take her son out with them who the heck are you to tell her otherwise...Also what gives you the right to call her... actually anyone a beech or any other name that is SO inappropriate... If it were up to me you would be in TIME OUT for awhile until you can control yourself... get some help and fast before you say something that hurts someone... oh wait too LATE![:@]
Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry i got mad and forgot about the thread... I was 8 when my dad started taking me and I loved it. I would think that 5 would be ok. The only thing that I would worry about it how far you have to walk and what the cover is like.. .. *Cough* GSP *Cough* sorryI think I might have somthing...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

Keaton started hunting with me as soon as he could sit. He was carried in a kelty baby pack[best money I ever spent] on all my hunting/scouting trips. He was with me for training dogs also. Now at age 12 he is my best hunting partner. As for guns for kids, Keaton got a Montecarlo cap gun to take with him at age 5. He was shooting a single shot 28ga at 8. He would go shoot sporting clays and preserve birds with me. When you mentioned Father/son time that is the right thing to do. Don't waste a minute, but stay at his level. Most kids are good for a little while, then want to do something else. If you want him to like it, pay close attention to this.
Example: I took Keaton to Kansas to pheasant hunt and the first day was weird weather, so we played in the back of the truck most of the day. The next day all Keaton wanted to do was watch the dogs and hold the roosters that I killed. Bottom line take him and don't let anyone tell you different, but have him ready to go, clothes, boots, food and plenty of stuff to do in the car.
Gselkhunter
Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

[:@]Dale you seriously have an issue....If crazylady wants to take her son out with them who the heck are you to tell her otherwise...Also what gives you the right to call her... actually anyone a beech or any other name that is SO inappropriate... If it were up to me you would be in TIME OUT for awhile until you can control yourself... get some help and fast before you say something that hurts someone... oh wait too LATE![:@]
Are you serious taking a baby out hunting as a 1 year old is ok with you?
Shooting a gun? climbing a tree stand?

(Don't let things like common sense get in your way)

What happens when the baby cries or poops. every 30min. or sooner.
I am not as stupid as you think, There is a low to no chance that a succesful hunt really could have taken place. More than likely it was a flat-out lie in the first place.
Taking a 1 year old hunting and killing a deer; Really.I must have an issue, amI the only sane person?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 PM

Scouting, taging along, watching dogs work, and helping skin an animal are one thing. Having an infant hanging from a tree in a backpack is another. That is Michael Jackson material!

I have seen too many good dogs shot by youngsters/inexperienced hunters... Shooting over a dog is a right of passage, its sacred; not a chucky cheese arcade game. 12 minimum.depending on the individual.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think he was talking about his 5 yr old shooting and neither was crazylady. They are talking about takeing there children out to enjoy the outdoors...
Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 PM

When he was a year and two years old we would put him in a backpack so he sat above me.
Thats from pg 1 crazylady, living up to her name.

Having an infant hanging from a tree in a backpack is Michael Jackson material!how is that not insane? I wouldnt even do that to YOUR kid, much less my own..

Quick Reply: HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.