Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Boykin Spaniels?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Boykin Spaniels?

To start with there is a big differencebetween pointing birds and stoping for birds. Most folks don't know the difference and never will.
Just like hunting put-out preserve birds and wild birds. Big Difference.
camelclutch,
Your pl couldn't hang with my B-Team dogs for 1 hour. Sure i know that they will retrieve better but, first you have to find birdsbefore you can shootthem.
Broek,
I don't keep up with your FC AKC stuff. Pass or Fail trials meens nothing to me. If those dogs really point thensomewhere in the woodpile there is a pointing breed. I bet that they just stop. If they are pure-bred.
You never know what you are buying. Why?
Most dogs are Registered in January. Do you really think all of them were born then?
Horse-Back Brittanys and GSPs. Never did they make anything that had as much goas they do now. WHY?
Breeding Brittanys to Setters and GSPs to English Pointers.
When did the APLA start?
When was the first Registered Pointing Lab?
Don't try to sale me a Ford Taurus and call it a Jaguar
Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM

I'm done with this thread! I may only be 16 but have ran in many hunt test and have spent alot of time in the blind and uplands with some very top notch breeders and trainers. Not one of them would ever come to a talk fourm and slam another breed or someone elses dogs. daleh you are the one making personal attacts on this thread. Growup!!!
If I was someone looking at buying a dog from you and read this thread, it would send up red flags. If you get this upset about someone bringing up another breed, how are you at dealing with problems that might come up with a customers dog. I think your actions in this thread tell me all I need to know. So go ahead and slam away, it only makes you look bad, not me. I'm the person that gave praise to another breed, unlike you who just slams. Again, actions speak louder then words.

YellowQuailDog - Sorry that daleh has felt the need to turn this into this type of thread. You have several good choices. Just make sure it's what you want as owning a dog is a big commitment. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Gents the question raised was in regards to a flushing breed. Please remember that was the original question and don't get on your high horses until you know something about a flusher, it's a long fall to the ground. Personally, I don't care for pointing dogs and labs that are pointing only a few generations out. I want to see proven hunters for multiple generations going back severaldecades.
The spaniel has long been the versitile type gun dog. Be it a Boykin, a springer or a cocker (the later two I am referring to those from field lines not the foo foo bench breds who can barely scent their way out of a paper bag).One of my favorite hunting companions is a Field Spaniel (the first MH in the breed) and a heck of a duck dog.
My advise is look closely at 3 or 4 breeds, meet as many specimens as you can & watch them work. Talk with the breeders and let the lady make her choice. If she wants a well bred spaniel then contact the parent club of that breed for a breeder education referral contact. If you contact the ESSFTA you will get me. If it points it ain't a flushing dog-test over and get off my course. If I wouldn't want to hunt over that dog then you probably won't want to hunt over it's offspring or relatives.
If you choose to go with a true flushing breed I hope you have many years of sucess in the field and get as much joy out of the dog as we have ours. Best of luck to you in your search for a new gun dog.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Broek, This is exactly why i point out these kinds of things. You don't know the difference between a bird dog and a hole in the ground.
Yet you give advice as though you are a seasoned vet that owns a buch of Field Trial Champions.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Typical Buck

Way to prove the young man's point Dale.