Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

First Time Out with My GSP

Old 12-13-2002, 02:33 PM

Default First Time Out with My GSP

Hello Fellow Bird Hunters.... just wanted to say that I will be joining the ranks of hunters who have four legged hunting buddies. I can not wait to go afield and test his skills. Tomorrow, I am going to up to the training facility to work with the trainer and my GSP. Then we get to bring him home and Sunday we are in the field. For a first timer with a dog afield what should I be aware of?

Eric
Old 12-14-2002, 07:42 AM

Default RE: First Time Out with My GSP

congrats, i like to see with my dogs if they are birdy and if they have the pointing drive in them( and i check for these 2 things when they are very little pups). not sure how old your dog is, but these 2 things are a must. is this the 1st time that you have done any training with your dog?

God Bless
Old 12-15-2002, 09:53 PM

how did the gsp do? hope it all went well. sure would like to hear about the day.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:55 AM

Well, its a Monday, and I am sitting at my office desk pondering the events of the weekend, and wishing I was in the field. I picked up my dog from the Trainer on Saturday and he showed us what to do and how to control my GSP in the field. Saturday night, I had trouble sleeping because I was thinking about the upcoming hunt in the morning with my new hunting pal. My father, myself and a buddy of his were in the field at day break on Sunday. Jaeger, worked his tail off, for about 2.5 hours and we did not see a single bird. Although, there were a couple of place were Jaeger did come on point. And after looking at the area, we saw that a hawk or something had better luck with the pheasants than we did. Since Jaeger is only 6 months old, we decided that we had spent enough time in the field and packed up for the day. I am looking forward to the next time we go afield.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

one of the most important things for a young dog is to get them into as many birds as possible while they are young. The more the better if it means going to a preserve and paying for birds so be it. I've been lucky to live in an area that usually has alot of birds and it's been along time since i brought up a pup but my dogs are 10 and 6 now so it's time to start thinking about a pup.
another thing that makes a dog a huntin mach. is let him run down a couple of crippled birds that can still run (wild ones work best for this) they do that and it seems to increase there hunting drive 10x

Old 12-24-2002, 07:06 AM

Happy Holidays Everyone,

Well, I have been working with my GSP for about an hour every night since he has come home from the trainer. Heel, whoa, and come are the three things that I have been working on. Living in suburan Chicago is tough though, I do not have easy acess to live brids, so steadying him to on point is not easy. Does anyone have an recommendations regarding steadying a dog to point without live birds or even if that is possible? I was thinking about getting a dokken dead foul training aid and using pheasant or grouse sent on it. Using some fishing line I would make the "bird" move around while holding him on point... Is that a good idea or no? I know that Live birds are the best, but I am thinking for training purposes...

-EJ
Old 12-25-2002, 12:42 AM
Fork Horn

The old bird wing on the end of a fishing line works good but don't ever let him catch it.

February 2003 = tired and Re-tired cop
Old 12-27-2002, 03:16 PM

EJ,

I have a DK and live in the Chicago area. Getting birds is hard but their are places to get them. I get mine from the breeder that I got my dog from you should check with your breeder. I also go to Bong in Wisconsin to train the dog in the off-season. You can get a dog training license for $10. This way you can plant and shoot all off season. Thear are guys out there that will help you train your dog if you help with theirs.

Later,
Goodsen
Old 12-29-2002, 01:26 PM

At least he came home with you,Nulle is right,the old wing on a fishline is a good deal for urban people,BUT don,t let him catch it.

Old 12-31-2002, 12:04 AM
Spike

I agree with the use of the wing on a string for young pups and only to show "Pointing Instinct".I don't beileve it will help in steadying a dog as live birds will.I also don't like to use scent.Its very easy to use "To" much scent making it more difficult later for the dog to scent birds under regular hunting conditions.If you use scent and the dogs getting a whole snoot full of scent then when you take to the field its very possible the dog could miss birds or have to get extremely close because its used to getting SO much strong scent from the bottle scent then the actual scent cone being released from live birds.Its just my opinion that the mysterious world of scent is difficult enough to figure out then to start off by using bottle scent.Birds,Birds and More Birds is the answer,Like someone said should you have to use a game preserve.So be it.Bird contacts are what any dog really needs.Happy Holidays,Jackson...

Quick Reply: First Time Out with My GSP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.