Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pointing Lab-English Pointer???

Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Spike

Default Pointing Lab-English Pointer???

I currently have a 3 1/2 yr old pointing black lab, I am wanting to get a english pointer also. Do you think the two would hunt well together. My lab has no experience "honoring"point", as I havent hunted her with another pointer yet? Any thoughts would be appreciated..
Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pointing Lab-English Pointer???

I think the "honoring point" will come on its own in due time. But, I would be curious if your lab would be able to keep up with the pointer all day.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

All day? A lab can't keep up with a well-bred Pointer for 5 minutes....
Old 01-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Spike

What does keeping up with each other have to do with my question, I know my lab or a lab couldnt keep up with a pointer. I could care less if the pointer is still going 100 mph at the end of the day, and my lab is dragging ass....Thats not my question, my question is if you people think that they would hunt well together????

Old 01-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Typical Buck

It is done all the time in the Southeastern US.

The labs ride on the wagon and are sent in to retrieve what the hunters have shot after the pointers or setters have found the birds.

The pointing dogs are sent ahead to find more coveys while the labs do the retrieving.

It's worked very well for many, many years.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

most hunting dogsunless they were raised together as puppys,will not hunt together,I MEAN LIKE 5 FT APART ETC..

so, you would have 1 dog going his way other his way.

both will hunt,but not TOGETHER..only what i have seen over 50 years..
Old 01-07-2007, 05:16 PM

sprouI wonder what you have hunted with and seen in 50 years. I'm 53 and have put dogs together of all ages and different breeds at times and if they are well trained they did fine together. I just hunted over some nice pointing Labs in So. Dakota and threw my two year old in the mix that was his second time on wild birds and they worked just fine together. The key is to be able to control your dog. I kept my dog inline with the guides dogs which was about 20yds out and quartering back and fourth.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: woodhorse

sprouI wonder what you have hunted with and seen in 50 years. I'm 53 and have put dogs together of all ages and different breeds at times and if they are well trained they did fine together. I just hunted over some nice pointing Labs in So. Dakota and threw my two year old in the mix that was his second time on wild birds and they worked just fine together. The key is to be able to control your dog. I kept my dog inline with the guides dogs which was about 20yds out and quartering back and fourth.
mostly, beagles..DOMANAINT hunting dog is not going to let another dog close to him/her..different if they are raised together..i seen dogs run away to get away from other dog and others that ran back to truck,scared of the other dog..

not good situation over years ,but what do i know anyhow..

only what i saw, so, you see different, thats fine..
Old 01-07-2007, 06:25 PM

I am sure it happens at timesasI have seen it too. We may havea lot in common as I have and still do raise beagles for over 30 years. I have the old red beagles with copper noses. Hunt cottontail and hare. Have hunted my beagles in most of the states east of the Mississippi and Iowa. Use to trial some in the late 70's early 80's
Old 01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

What does keeping up with each other have to do with my question, I know my lab or a lab couldnt keep up with a pointer. I could care less if the pointer is still going 100 mph at the end of the day, and my lab is dragging ass....Thats not my question, my question is if you people think that they would hunt well together????
If they are trained and under control the answer is yes they can. Here in the field trials they hunt different dogs ( Pointers and Setters ) and they may run. But, when it comes down to pointing and honoring that is part of the trials. They have to beunder control and honor each other. So if you have a lab that will point and even though he may be slower getting there he should still be able to point for you,as long as the pointer is on point also and have not flushed the bird away. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Pointing Lab-English Pointer???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.