Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

mod.chock vs. Imp.

Old 11-16-2002, 10:36 PM

Default mod.chock vs. Imp.

I am using #6 SHOTS for my phesents hunt,any suggestion on wether to use Modefid. or Improved chock for the best results?

TOONS

SAFTY IS # 1
Old 11-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mod.chock vs. Imp.

Are we talking imp/mod or imp/cyl?

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 11-17-2002, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

how far are the normal shots? this year my hit rate went way up from last year...before id always use a modified...hit once in a while..and when i did i busted it too good...later in the year last eyar i changed to improved and havent missed yet...even got my first grouse and woodcock and both with one shot each...but im hunting without a dog in some thick tangles that a shot over 20 yards is non exsistant....pheasants i like my modified unless i know the dog will keep them at my feet....

Old 11-17-2002, 05:16 PM

imp/cyl is what i am using. it came with the shotgun.<font size=4></font id=size4>
Toons
Safty Is #1
Old 11-17-2002, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

For pheasants, with #6 shot in a single-barrel gun, modified would be my choice. Unless, of course, you're hunting over a pointing dog that has the ability to pin roosters down, then improved cylinder would be perfect.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 11-22-2002, 11:47 AM

This late in the year, I would go Mod for sure, maybe even Full if there is snow on the ground. Even with a good pointer, not many late season roosters will hold for a good point. More likely you will get them breaking early. I would also recommend #5s or #4s. I have on occasion used #2s if the birds are wild with snow on the ground. Sounds like overkill, but you can always wait. Also, I am talking lead shot (which I assume everyone is talking).
Old 11-22-2002, 08:39 PM

Codydawg,
can you please tell me what is the reason to go even for Full later in the season specially with snow ?
by the way i am using #6. mainly because they didn't have #4 or #5.

Thanks
TOONS
Old 11-26-2002, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Toon the only way to tell is to go and pattern your shotgun with the load you intend to shoot. IMHO not enough time is spent on the patterning board by most hunters. Get together with a few of your buddies and buy shells from different makers and see what combination works best out of your shotgun.
A general rule of thumb is the heavier and faster the load one is better off shooting a more open choke. It ends up giving a better more uniform pattern. Spread the cost of ammo out over the year and shoot and test you'll be surprised at the results you get.
One thing I've found over 36+ years most shooters shoot too tight a choke and too heavy a load and don't spend enough time shooting or patterning.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:36 PM
Spike

IC works for everything for me-use a Benneli auto with a 21&quot; barrel.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:49 PM

i use a full choke whith remington #4 heavy game loads. the reason that i used a full choke is that with my shotgun and that load i have found that it patterns the best for my likings. i can hit about 18 of 20 clay birds with that combo. i've only seen one rooster this year. Killed him dead one shot...man lead takes them down quick it was like he ran into a brick wall. and it was a 30 yard shot too.(last year i used steel and didnt like the lack off knock down power) just my imput but that is why i use a full choke because it patterns well with the loads that i am using in my gun.

Quick Reply: mod.chock vs. Imp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.