Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

First Shotgun

Old 11-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Spike

Default First Shotgun

<font face='Arial'>Hello everyone I’m a non-hunter wishing to get started and need some advice. After much talk with hunters and a great deal of reading and thinking, I decided to I’d like start with small game and upland birds. I intend to get a .22 but also would like a shotgun. Most folks are recommend a 20 gauge but a few a 12 gauge in the event I'd like to hunt turkey some day (a possibility but I see this as down the line). Because I've never handled a shotgun I lean toward a 20 because of the lighter recoil relative to the 12. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions in this area?

Next, funds are tight and I know little about the various makes and need your input. I'm looking for a pump action and know about and like the Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and have run across the Charles Daly shotguns. Any suggestions? Luckily although I am left-handed my right eye is very dominant so I will be shooting right-handed.

Again I welcome your thoughts and advice!
</font id='Arial'>
Old 11-13-2002, 08:03 PM

Default RE: First Shotgun

I'd go with a 12ga Mossberg 500 or 835. Just because it take 3&quot; or 3 1/2&quot; shells you don't have to shoot magnum loads. You can also hunt just about ANYTHING with a 12ga from small game to big game. Just start slow & watch you can pickup a NEW 835 for $300 or less also if you can find a place that has a FFL & will recieve weapons for little or no money the check out www.gunsamerica & you can find some deals on all kinds of shotguns

There is NO such thing as a bad day HUNTING
Good Luck & Good Hunting
Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say either the 12 or the 20, the 20 will drop a turkey, just doesn't have as much reach as the 12, the 12 is the most alround shotgun like was posted above, from small game to big game. if you have a walmart near by go and check out their selection of guns.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

a 12 in a
winchester 1300 (highly reccomended)
or
remington 870 (most popular pump action these days)

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 11-14-2002, 08:47 AM

I saw crown grade Mossberg 500 combo for 300 yesterday. I started with one. Its very simple,reliable and with proper care last you lifetime.

TrestandEd

&quot;Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING
Old 11-14-2002, 10:39 AM

I would recommend the 870 in a 20 gauge. The thing with guns is that you can usually get almost what you pay for them back out of them. So start with a 20 (even a youth model if you are small in stature), use it and learn how to hunt. I would REALLY recommend a Firearm Safety Course as soon as you can. You will learn a lot about hunting. Once you have gained some experience, you can sell the 20 gauge and move into whatever suits your fancy from the experience you have gained. Mossbergs are ok, but don't feel as balanced as an 870 does to me. I would shy away from a Charles Daly, they have plastic components and I have heard many bad things about them.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:54 AM

i like the 870 so id get an 870 wingmaster in 20ga or 12 ga it doesnt really matter, neither of them kick too bad unless you shoot slugs or 3.5s

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-17-2002, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg 500s' come with a ported barrel so even with the 12 ga. loads it kicks like a 20 ga. Very simple to use and a joy to shoot. Lots more loads to choose from too, everything from turkey to rabbit, pheasent, squirrel, or deer.

&quot;Hey ya'll, watch this&quot;
Old 11-17-2002, 06:44 PM

My 2 cents is the 870. Stable gun. Will fire in almost any condition(although I don't recommand it). has less kick then the 500. The 12ga or the 20ga is a matter of choice. They cost the same here in NJ.
Good luck

Vic
Old 11-17-2002, 09:58 PM

I'm surprised i haven't seen anyone else mention a 410...
410's have a lot less recoil then any other shotgun & can be used to shoot just about anything except for duck, geese, & i'm not sure i would use it for elk/moose etc...
it is a perfect gun for any small game it just might take a little more practice at shooting moving targets since it does shoot out less pellets compared to a 12/20 ga. You can even get slugs for it to shoot deer with!
Personally i use a 12 gauge but i don't mind the recoil & presently i don't have a 410...mossberg makes a real nice 410 pump...

Happy Hunting =)

Quick Reply: First Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.