Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

new at upland bird hunting

Old 08-27-2006, 04:33 PM

Default new at upland bird hunting

i'm just starting upland bird hunting this year and i don't have a clue on wat to buy, wat kind of ammo i need, and how to get them easily. also does anyone know of a choke that will fit a rossi 12 gauge
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new at upland bird hunting

As far as gear goes: Any 12 or 20 ga. you are comfortable with if fine. For most upland birds, I like to shoot 7 1/2's. Get a good vest and field pants. You can find all of this at Bass Pro, Sportsman's, or Gander Mountain. Hit me up and we'll hunt!! Good luck...
Old 08-30-2006, 08:13 PM

Hey coloradoprohunter,
All your questions depend on where and what 'Burd' youre after! Upfront, I'd suggest 12 or 20ga.
#7.5 to #9.0 high brass shot,,, Improved Cylinder,, and Filson Chaps and allways break your boots in... 'A BIRD HUNTER MUST WALK.'
I'm a birdhunter (IE wild quail,Wingshot) from SC,
What cha wanna know?? You are out in upland bird country.. I make a trip out west( TX / OK)with a couple of seasoned bird hunters every year. This year they they want to go up north and west to do something different. Can you give me any suggestions?? We've made contact for Minnesota Grouse and Texas Quail,, I could use some info on Hungarian Partridge or Sharptailaround theColorado/Montana border, (IE public land/WMA/County maps or hopefullyPrivate landowners with a desire to accomodate a couple of 'BURD' hunters). My Buddies are hoping to make our trip (late Oct/early Nov) It kinda depends on if one dog is in season.. We travel light and don't stay long...Just wanting to put our dogs in a different environment and see How they do??(It's mostly About bragging rights).
We have some info on Nevada and Arizona(Mountain/Mearns). Let me know if you have any suggestions about your neck o'de woods.. I'll drive most of this trip and'mapquest' tells me I'm looking at 6000-7000 miles with dogs. I'm guessing Exxons profits will slip!!!!

Thanking you in advance,
Bob 'floundapounda" Brown
Lexington,SC
PS We are waiting to see how Hurricane 'Ernesto' affects our opening day (Sat) of dove season.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Coloradoprohunter you have mail.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 PM

thanx guys, i'm going after mourning doves, bobwhite quail, and watever other legal game bird in pa for upland hunting.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: coloradoprohunter

i'm just starting upland bird hunting this year and i don't have a clue on wat to buy, wat kind of ammo i need, and how to get them easily. also does anyone know of a choke that will fit a rossi 12 gauge
Where in CO are you and where do you plan to hunt birds? I am in Aurora and hunt eastern CO for some time now. 12ga (2 3/4" or even better 3".) For doves and quail #7 1/2 or #6, for pheasant #6, #5 and even #4 by the end of the season.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:21 PM

well actually, this year i'm staying w/ family and pa and will hunt birds there. next year i'm gonna try it in CO but i haven't done it in a few years. i'm planning on doing a little traveling and hunting in area 14 at #285 or 286
Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 AM

Good luck and next year we can chat.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:32 PM

sounds good
Old 09-19-2006, 01:26 PM

coloradoprohunter...depending on where you are here in pa, you hunting will vary. All pheasants are stocked birds and because the game commision cut back on the hatcheries, you may only get a few birds on public lands. I've been hunting pheasants for 4 years now, and only have put up probably 20 birds in those 4 years. the very first day is the best, if you get out into the fields before sunrise. after that, it is way over hunted. don't be surprise if you see 30+ hunters a morning trying to get a few hundred birds. I do it for the dog. He loves it and it is great exercise for him, but in the fields here in western PA, you may hunt for 6+ hours with 4 dogs and 4 guns and not see anything.

If you are in swpa, let me know, i'd be happy to go out with ya.

Quick Reply: new at upland bird hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.