Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best calliber for grouse

Old 08-27-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Best calliber for grouse

I have been using a 20G and my son has been using a 12G. I'm considering buying a new O/U and I'm not sure if I should get a 12 or a 20. (The one I'm using is trouble.) Last year my son shot a grouse at maybe 15-20 yards using his 12G with a light skeet load...maybe # 8 or 9. The shot absolutely destroyed the bird with nothing much left to eat. He was using a Modified choke. I use # 6 in my 20G and have never seen that. Still I've heard of many guys using the 12G. What do you guys think?
Old 08-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best calliber for grouse

Well, if it was me and the gun was strictly for chickens, the 20 gauge would get the nod. They'regenerally lighter and with most loads, less recoil. Personally, I use a 12 gauge with number....6 I think, but I've used a 20, and for most purposes, I'd grab the 20. However, if I was also hunting waterfowl, turkey or pheasents, I'd get a 12 gauge, just for the extra omph. Hope this helped
Old 08-27-2006, 04:58 PM

YOU OVERCHOKED!!! if your shooting 1- 20 yards try no choke at all no matter wat the gauge. a cylinder bore without a choke at 20 yards is just as deadly as a full choke at 40. if you were using 3 1/2 inch or 3 inch loads that might be a bit heavy. we took a soda can at7 yards with 2 3/4 inch loads #8 with a .410 and it looked like barely half the thing was left. i'd go with the 20 gauge definitely. perfect for turkeys, birds, squirrels, rabbits, and it's light too. good luck
Old 08-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

"The shot absolutely destroyed the bird with nothing much left to eat."
I shoot 12ga all the time and never seen that at thatdistance. I like 12 because it give just a bit more. I shootan O/U that is almost as light as 20's. Beretta is my gun of choice. Light and relieable. However, shoot whatever is comfortable. That is what's best.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like my twelve guage with a modified choke for shooting at wing shots.
I use number six also and it works good for me.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:30 PM

Yes, it would be overchocked for the distance however, that's something than can happen on occasion! I'm not terribly surprised to hear of so many fguys using the 12G as usually you grab what you own. I guess if the right 12G comes along, with lightweight and reasonable cost, I'd certainly consider it if it fits.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:02 PM

I thought the topic was what was the best caliber,not guage. anyways what about .22 LR. I have a revolver and I have some #12 shot for it. I also have a scoped Glenfield model 60 [marlin].
Old 08-31-2006, 01:35 PM

I like my 12 guage with #7 and a full choke.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:27 PM

Haven't you had a problem with destroying all the meat?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

arooster, I think if your to close that will always be a problem
unless you shoot them in the head.

phildenton, Any rifle will work if you are a good shot and hit them
in the head. But, that 22 birdshot you would be better off throwing
it away. Try shooting a glass coke bottle from about thrity yards and
see for yourself. That stuff is no good.

Quick Reply: Best calliber for grouse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.