Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant??? >

Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

Old 05-07-2006, 09:04 AM

Default RE: Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

Mite i think the A5s that were made in Belgum are worth more then the ones that were made in Japan ??????? Not sure, but thought I heard that before. I dont know were my Grapas was made but it was vary old so I would have to say Belgum.

Later.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

12 ga 1 1/4 oz 1290-1330 fps....26inch barrel on my Nova .....if I go 20ga I like 1 oz at 1290-1330fps in my Remington 1100 with 28 inch barrel
Old 05-09-2006, 04:39 PM

my perferred gun is my remington 870 express shot i handload 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 5 shot and some 4's late in the season. use a federal gold medal hull. and far as im concerned 12ga is the way to go. i started with 20 and still take her a few times a year but i favor the 12 alot. i also take my mossberg silver reserve o/u somtimes. ive got mod in the top and full in the bottom.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

All I can say is that I love my Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U 12 gauge. However, I take my 12 gauge Benelli M1 Field to South Dakota. It has the synthetic stock and the semi-autoaction has never failed me. I have hunted out there for 4 years now and have delt with dust, rain, mud, pig weed, sorghum, sunflowers, corn and the worst, cat tails and that Benelli "keeps on wack'in 'em".

However, if you are dead set on an O/U I would say a light weight Browning, Beretta, Franchi, Winchester, Weatherby or many other mid-range O/U manufacturers. (Don't get caught up in that anti-Japanese crap that is being spewed out in this string. Remember the Japanese make and have madethe two best selling and most reliable cars in America-Camry and Civic. Not to mention the electronics that come out of that country are incredible). Browning makes an excellent O/U.

I see a lot of guns come through mine and other bird farms and the feedback I'm giving you is either my own or the hunters I talk to.

GAUGE. 16 or
20 is adequate for early season or if you are a really good shot ( I can't brag about that skill).
SHOT.- for a 12 gauge, 2/3/4 #5 or #6's. Some guys out in SD use #7.5 for early season. I use 3" # 5's or even #4's when the winds are howling.

Best of luck and let us knoe what you choice you made.

I attached a picture of some of the guys from last years SD hunt.

-Mathewsconquest2

Old 05-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guide pheasants in SD, and here is what I reccomend to clients. Bring a shotgun that fits you, 4s or 5s, I don't like 6s in the hands of inexeperienced shooters, early season IC or Mod for choke. My personal favorite for upland game is a Citori 20 Upland Special. I would rather carry a 20 all season over a 12 gauge.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Rammer,
Whereabouts in SD are you from/ hunt?

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 05-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Draw a diagonal line between Aberdeen and Watertown and I am halfway between the 2.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:32 AM
Banned

12 guage O/U improved and modified 6 shot
Old 05-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Rammer,
I understand that area is excellent hunting. I've been hunting down near Wessington Springs. I spoke to our friends/ land ownwer's last week and they said that, pending any bad weather, this could be the best hunting year in a decade. Already looking forward to it.

-Mathewsconquest2

Old 05-30-2006, 03:58 PM

12ga, #5 to start, and#4 later in the season.

Quick Reply: Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.