Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

SW Quail Organizations

Old 03-26-2006, 07:40 PM

Default SW Quail Organizations

With the upstart of Quail Forever, wondering who best promotes southwest quail habitat. We have QU, Western Gamebird Alliance (who aren't taking anynew members...whatever) and now QF. Looking for any thoughts out there.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Spike

Default RE: SW Quail Organizations

Desertdog,
I'm with you. I was a member of the WBA and I thought they did a real good job of getting quail issues brought to the fore front. I don't know if I'm like most, but I only have so much money to spend on game orgs and membership.
I look forward to reading what others have to say on the topic.

John
Old 03-27-2006, 10:15 AM

As successful as Pheasants Forever has been, I think that Quail Forever should be able to get the job done - providing the farmers/ranchers/state agencieswork with them.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:41 PM

I am for anyone or any organization that promotes quail and or habitat for quail. All know organizations only do habitat. I beleive that someone needs to restock quail back into the wild!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:00 AM

Restocking is has been proven to be pretty much a buffet for predators. Habitat protects from predators so ifthe area has quail they need habitat to flourish.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:48 PM

I guess my biggest concern is that the southwest has been ignored by PF (understandably- there aren't really any wild pheasants to speak of)and does not have people in place to promote QF. I work for the USFS and have watched some good and some bad pratnerships with QU. Just thinking about starting a chapter of anything to protect the quail. Just think, in my area, over the next two years, the BLM will be allowing the construction of over 4000 new gas wells.