Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

12 or 20

Old 03-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default 12 or 20

im going to be buying a O/U soon. most of my hunting will be for grouse and pheasants. now what should i go for a 12ga or a 20ga
thanks
Old 03-07-2006, 02:17 PM

Default RE: 12 or 20

I've been shooting a 20 since 1987. I find a 20 just as deadly on grouse and pheasant as any 12. It's a matter of the right load, choke and ability to hit the target. In fact, the only difference between a 12 and a 20 is the amount of shot it puts in the sky. Hitting the target is completely up to you.

I think you'll find that after shooting a 20 you'll wonder why you waited so long to switch to a 20. A 12 will feel cumbersome in your hands.
Just my personnel opinion.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:43 AM

I'll through my .02 in for the 20 in o/u. For pheasant and grouse it's plenty of gun, easy to carry and fun to shoot.I personally would go the 12 only if you wanted to use it for waterfowl to. I like my pump 12 for that as I have used that 3rd shell to many times and some of those ducks and geese seem to be able to eat up shot.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 AM

I would say go with the 20g, but the most important thing is to shoot the gun you shoot best. Any gun that puts the pellets where you want them will yeild the results you desire, which is birds dropping from the sky. 20's are nice. More often than not I carry my 20. I have also taken a lot of game with my 28g, pheasants included.

The key is having a gun that fits you well. One easy way to judge if a gun will fit you is to mount it with your eyes closed, then open your eyes. If you are seeing the rib you are ill fitted. You want to see just the bead mounted on the muzzle. Seeing the rib you will shoot high. Thisusually means the gun needs more drop at the heel to fit you. This is of course a really basic explination, and I'm not a gunfitter, but I'm sure there are members here who can explain it in more detail.

Contrary to popular belief, a 12g doesn't hold more shot than a 20g. Shells are loaded by weight, so an ounce of shot willbe the same amount of pellets regardless of which hull they are packed into provided you load both hulls with the same size shot. The difference is that a 12g hull can be packed with heavier loads should one choose. However, a larger load doesn't guarantee better performance, or better balistics. To determine which loads work best on moving targets you need to shoot a lot with different loads. IMO if the gun fits well, and you spend a fair amount of time on the skeet field 1oz, or even 3/4oz loads will perform fine.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

thanks everyone..
i dont want to spend a ton of money on this so i have been looking into the spartan. it has the remington name on it so i would think it would be a pretty good gun in the $500 range. any other brands out there in that price range that anyone knows of for an o/u. thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Spartans are made in Russia. They are fairly rough guns. Look into Lanber or Silma. Both I believe are Spanish guns.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 PM

Don't waste your money on an O/U....they are junk. You carry twice the weight, and all you can ever get is 2 rounds. Why oh why, people shoot those worthless things!![:'(] Get yourself a nice auto or pump 20, it will work just fine for grouse & pheasant. They far more versatile guns than some double POS.[:'(]
Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

Truth b , I see by all the posts I reviewed that you are a member her just to flame and incite. I will bring you to the attentions of the moderators. This is a good site and I'd like to see it kept this way.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:41 AM

I myself perfer the 12 but I miss just as many birds with my 20
Old 03-09-2006, 10:42 AM

Truth b , I see by all the posts I reviewed that you are a member her just to flame and incite. I will bring you to the attentions of the moderators. This is a good site and I'd like to see it kept this way.
says ruddyduck.

It is my opinion, you don't like it? Tough luck. I spend more time in the field than you ever have. I know what works and what doesn't work. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.