Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 How do you pluck your birds? >

How do you pluck your birds?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

How do you pluck your birds?

Old 02-19-2006, 02:18 PM

Default How do you pluck your birds?

Have you got any suggestions about how to pluck the birds? It took me about half hour a bird and we had 12 Chuckars between us. Just thought you might have a pointer or two. I get the water to boil and then put the bird in there. It makes the plucking easier but boy it stinks. I know that chicken farms have machines but is there a non comercial machine for that?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:05 PM

Default RE: How do you pluck your birds?

Anyone try that magic fingers deal you put on the end of a drill??
Just curious.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:25 PM

Hi Bow Sorry but I didnt understand a thing about what you said. Checked out your site though. Pretty good but the forums section didnt work . There was nothing under it. Is it a brand new site that not one has posted anything on it yet?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:26 AM

What we do with chicken and turkey is this: Dip them in hot or boiling water first. The feathers tend to come off easier then. Are considering plucking pheasant?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:55 AM

Well last year I only managed to go Chuckar hunting which happened to be a fantastic year. But I really dont think the procedure is much different from bird to bird. Just that the bigger they are, the more feather to pluck. Or is there a difference?????I have no dought that you have more experience with different birds.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:13 PM

The magic fingers drill is... let's just say we all make stupid purchases. I end up "peeling" most of my birds and then vacuum sealing them. I know that with the gambels quail i hunt that this can deaden the delicacy of their flavor, but the vacuum bagger counters it pretty well. Sharpies, prairie chicken, pheasans and the rest are all treated the same way at our house. By the way, quail baked in a good mole' (mol-ay) sauce is my newest obsession. Try it.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:05 PM

I don't think I've ever hunted or cleaned a Chukkar, but I know with quail and dove I just breast them. I usually just breast pheasant too but on occasion and with most ducks, I will pluck them. But, dipping them in hot water would work just as well for quail and dove too.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I just skin them out then vac seal them it's quick and easy I can do about 8 birds in a hour that way including guten.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:30 AM

thanks but what is the advantage of vac sealing ? I just put them in a plastic bag(zip lock or just plain plastic bag) and put it in the freezer.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: hunt genious

I just skin them out then vac seal them it's quick and easy I can do about 8 birds in a hour that way including guten.
Same as hunt genious.

Quick Reply: How do you pluck your birds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.