Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Over/Under Question

Old 02-11-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Over/Under Question

Hello Everyone,
First time posting in the Upland Forum. I am considering buying an over/under for upland hunting. I was wondering if I can get some feedback on several questions.
1. What are some good quality brands that have the 3" shell option.($1000 or less...preferably less).

2. What choke combo (imp. and mod. or mod. and full)?

3. Lastly, 20 or 12? Are 12 gauge O/U too heavy?

I generally hunt western Kansas CRP over my Weimaraner "Belle". Can't think of any other info you may need from me. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Tom
Old 02-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Over/Under Question

I think opinions are going to vary alot on your questions. First off, whatever brand you choose make sure the gun fits you or it's all for naught. There are alot of different brands out there under 1k. A better option would be to buy a quality used gun rather than a newer cheap gun. I personally shoot a SKB only because I grew up with one.

If you choose to go with 20ga, that will limit your 3" shells. It may be hard to find 3" shells other than 12ga or 10ga.

Also, most modern shotguns will come with choke tubes so you won't have to decide except for skeet-skeet choke.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Be forewarned once you got to an O/U you might never be satisfied with anything else.
As far as gage choice ,the 12 ga. give you a little more versatility with you shotgun if you want to use it for waterfowl. Today almost all field guns and a number of sporting models come chambered to take a 3" shell although I've never seen the need. Buy what fits ,balances and feels good in your hands. One gets what one pays for. Your 1000 puts you in the used gun market when you are talking a QAULITY shotgun. Many a well loved Brownings and Berettas can had for 1000 or a bit less. You can go with a gun of lesser cost but you get less for your money too and don't let people think you don't. The lower priced shotguns are like comparing a Savage 311 to another double costing $1000 or more.
Choke is up to you. Most guns come with screw in chokes and you can taylor your gun to your shooting abilities and hunting conditions. Fixed chokes go with IC & Mod for a good all round choice.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:49 AM

Nice replies fellas. So used quality gun is the way to go. 12 gauge seems to be the general consensus. Over/Unders aren't too heavy to lug around in the grass I take it?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:18 AM

i hunt with a Browning Citori O/U 12 ga. with Mod. and Full Chokes. i will never hunt upland with another gun, or waterfowl either for that matter.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:47 PM

How much do Browning Citori's run new? I know they sell used guns at Gander Mt. which I would think they would look them over pretty good and clean them before they sell them. I would think that you could trust a used gun from a place like Gander Mt. over a pawn shop. I was looking there and they had some Stoegers and perhaps even a Browning but for some reason I don't think it was a Citori.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

If you buy an o/u that's priced around 1k, people usually don't ask you questions on reliablity it's mostly questions on how does it shoot and whatnot. People who buy sub $500 o/u guns usually justify their purchase, ie. "it's a great value and shoots good enough for me."

Brownings are good guns. If you can I would still go there and fit it.

As to 12ga, will be fine for most birds. Alittle too much for quail or smaller birds but with shell selection it should be fine.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:43 AM

I have been going through the same decision process over the last few months. Everything that has been suggested about size andfeel is dead on. As far as weight of a 12 ga o/u, in the price range that you are looking, it will be around 7 lbs +/-. About the same weight as most middle-of-the-road pump actions in a 12 ga. I'm looking at a 20 ga for my o/u. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Ruger Red Label Engaged 3" 12 guage and absolutely love it. It was my first season hunting with it and will not tell you the results out of fear it might jynx next season, but let's just say I have plenty of left over cartridges.

The gun cost me $ 900.

Good luck,

Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 AM

I went with a new Ruger Red Label in 20 gauge. I can shoot 3" shells from mine, and for upland I personally think the 20 is perfect. If I hunt waterfowl, I prefer a pump with 3 shells in 12 gauge. The 20 is a little lighter, a little quicker than the 12. I personally went Ruger's RLas it really fits me well, and I got mine new for $1150, so for just a bit more than you are looking for. It came with 5 choke options, and it is made in America, New Hampshire to be specific, which is where I live.

In my review I really liked theCitori, but the Red Label felt more like it was made for the field. I also looked hard at the Beretta's but I found their combs (in general) are just a little high for me and don't shoulder perfectly for me.

Quick Reply: Over/Under Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.