Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Cleaning Doves

Old 01-01-2006, 07:30 AM

Default Cleaning Doves

What's the best way to field dress doves? Never done it before and don't want to screw up what little meat there is! Any help appreciated.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cleaning Doves

We just eat the breast.( not much of a drum stick on a dove) They are pretty easy to clean.( no tools needed) Start by pushing your thumb into the dove underneath the bottom of the breast. ( down by the tail) Push your thumb all the way through and out at the top of the breast . ( base of the neck ) Grab this and rip it off. You will have the head , back, guts,and tail in your hand. All that is left is the breast with the two wings still attached. Break off both wings. Then peel the skin off of the breast. Last you just wash the breast off under cold running water.

If you have alot of doves, sometimes it helps to have pruning shears to clip off the wings. Those little wingbones get a little sharp after you clean several with bare hands.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

bingbong,

What windwalker7 told you is good for field dressing as you asked. However, I like to leave the wings and legs on because I like to cook my doves in a light gravy, and the wings and legs help add to the flavor. So, if you can wait til you get home to pick the birds, try this: If you have an outdoor sink for cleaning game it will work or you could use a bucket or ice chest. Fill either with water and leave the water runing into it, hold the dove under the water and start pulling the feathers off, you'll be surprised how easy they are to pick under the water. The running water keeps washing the feathers out of the container.
Another thing to consider if you're going to be field dressing. Be sure and take some paper towels and a bottle of water to wash your hands when finished or you'll have blood all over you and your vehicle steering wheel.

dog1
Old 01-01-2006, 03:16 PM

Hey, guys. Thanks alot. You won't believe this. I shot the doves this morning (Sunday) Illegal here. A bit unethical, but oh well. I threw them in the grass behind the garage. I went in the house to whip up some BBQ sauce for some ribs. I go back out to clean the doves and there is nothing left but feathers and 1 wing! Talk about pissed! I now have to start hunting cats because I saw a very large black cat at the edge of my field looking down into the woods. Poetic justice for Sunday hunting?????? Anyway, thanks alot!

Hey, guys. Thanks alot. You won't believe this. I shot the doves this morning (Sunday) Illegal here. A bit unethical, but oh well. I threw them in the grass behind the garage. I went in the house to whip up some BBQ sauce for some ribs. I go back out to clean the doves and there is nothing left but feathers and 1 wing! Talk about pissed! I now have to start hunting cats because I saw a very large black cat at the edge of my field looking down into the woods. Poetic justice for Sunday hunting?????? Anyway, thanks alot!

Quick Reply: Cleaning Doves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.