Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Tricky Grouse

Old 12-23-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Tricky Grouse

Well,
After three years of no grouse hunting I went out today, and much to my surprise, flushed 9 birds inside of two hours. 5 were distance flushes, since the snow was so crunchy, but 4 were up close, with only two being shooters due to thickness of brush. I got off four shots, all misses. Oh well, that is what you get for not grouse hunting for three years.
A few questions.
After you flush a bird, and approximate where it lands, are they hard to flush again. All the birds I watched flush I thought I knew where they landed, yet when I got there I could not push them up again. Once they are flushed once, are they hard to put up in the air again? Any tricks for reloacting a flushed bird?
Also, all the birdsI flushed were in groups, yet when I shot at one the others didnt flush until I took a few more steps. Will grouse generally hold pretty tight through shooting?
Also, all the areas I hit today seemed to be pretty full (tracks, scat, etc). Will these birds be there again in a week or two since I just trompted through, or are they likely to group up in different areas now?
Happy Holidays To All.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tricky Grouse

Good questions Campo. I would like to know the answers also. In my limited experience, some will hold tight and some won't. There were times my buddy and I will be standing and talking then all of a sudden a bird will pop up real close by. It always happens when we are on breaks and both our guns are unloaded.

A dog sure helps though. We hunted a particular spot for three seasons. First season, lots of birds. Second, a few. Third, nada. But then alot of people found this place also, so hunting pressure?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:44 AM

If you see where they landed, by all means walk them up and flush again. Grouse aren't the smartest birds. You can flush them over and over.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Campo-Mite were are you fellas from?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:01 AM

You can definitely flush grouse multiple times, and they will frequently hold tighter and fly a shorter distance on each successive flush.

When you mark the spot that you think a bird went down hunt beyond that area. Many times, the bird will glide a little past where it appears to have landed. They will also frequently bank suddenly to one side or the other when(from a distance) they look likethey are going straight down.

It is true that a dog can often bump birds out of range. However, a PROPERLY TRAINEDdog definitely will improve your odds by alerting you that grouse are nearby BEFORE they actually flush. They are also extremely valuable when it comes to finding birds that you have knocked down, since a dead grouse is hard to find among leaf litter - they blend in very well.

My brother and I hunt them with his English Setter and Viszla. Both dogs are close, slow methodical pointers, and they regualrly point birds that are holding tight. The only time the dogs are a bigger hidrance than help is when the birds are sitting in the tops of pine trees. When in the tops of trees, the birds typically will get bumped out of range by the dogs, but honestly, you rarely can get a shot at them when they are lighting out of the tops of pine trees anyway.

Good luck and keep pulling the trigger. Eventually you will connect, and it will be a satisfying and rewarding moment when you walk up and claim Ole Ruff!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

I'm in Western Washington State about 30 miles North of Seattle. Hunting here is mostly pheasant release sites for upland but alot of waterfowl. All the birds are on the East side and I'm too lazy to try the snows in the pass. The place I'm talking about is in Hyak, on the pass. It was a clearcut. The first time we went, we hit 3 coveys with alot of singles on a short stretch of road. After that it got steadily worse.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Michigan, when we flush Grouse (We call them partridges) They always run after they land. If we don't get them on the first flush it is rough going. Especially without a dog. What we have found helpful is if you circle around maybe 100 yards ahead of them and push them back the other way. We usually have a better chance or re-jumping them.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

here in pa. grouse are hunted hard and fly up at least 40 yards out in front of you.they are spooky.even with bird dogs that point the grouse will not sit and let them do that. i like dogs that hunt close.i seen labs as best ones that hunt close but most flush, which is alright.labs hunt close. brittanys are nice to but some run way out to far,in fact , other than lab,most hunt out to far on grouse here in pa. i have beagles only but i hunt with friend who has brittany and lab. i like hunting with his lab as he hunts real close. the brittany he has is fine but it hunts way out to far. all i see is bird flying away.brittany has better nose and lab runs with his nose up in air. lab is not the better bird hunter but i like way they hunt close .if i ever get another dog its going to be a lab.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I learned to Grouse hunt - I didn't have a dog - and no one to hunt with.

I rarely got a bird on the first flush. Often (at least 1/2 of the time) - if I could track the bird with my eye - I could draw a straight line to flush it again. Many times they would light in a lone pine, a grape tangle - or other tree up in the air. They would hold tighter and tighter after each flush - sometimes you had to walk right up on the tree to get them to go.

If I wasn't able to bring one down - the game would almost always end when I would push them into the mature White Pine or Hemlocks -and they would get into the tops - almost never would they flush again.

Late in the season - they flush early -

Sometimes I walk all the way around the best cover (but not in it) - so the birds know something is up from all directions - and tend to hang a little longer when I do turn andgo in. Always be alert for the "puutttt ppttt pututt" of a grouse that is getting ready to "go" - Mount the gun and turn to the direction of the "sound"quickly --- you guys that hunt grouse without a dog know what I mean.....don't you?

When hunting favorite places - keep track of tangles where you flush birds - Its not a coincidence they are there - and will likely be again - next time you hunt that spot. Sometimes - You have to hunt a spot 3-4 times before you can get off a shot - I hunt these spots like I know exactly where the bird hiding.

FH

Quick Reply: Tricky Grouse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.