Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Ever used a single shot for Pheasant? >

Ever used a single shot for Pheasant?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Ever used a single shot for Pheasant?

Old 12-21-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Ever used a single shot for Pheasant?

Sick of carrying my 8# Benelli Nova around. Am planning to get a different gun. Just curious if any of you have ever used a single shot for pheasants? To be honest, I rarely take a second shot if I miss and when I shoot clays, seems like the second shot isn't necessarily a higher percentage shot. I figure at the most, I'm buying an inexpesive double, but I certainly haven't ruled out a single, either.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:22 AM

Default RE: Ever used a single shot for Pheasant?

I have my dads old single shot and it sure looks good hanging on the wall. Personally, even if I were as good of a shot as you, I would get a nice o/u or s/s. They will hold that second shot if you ever choose to try and take it. I also think you might be hard pressed to find a single shot unless you start poking your nose around. Just my opinion, but I would say buy a nice shotgun that fits and only put one shell in it. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

If you don't want to spend much money on a single shot, get a Rossi 20 or 12ga. If you think you will need and extra shot or two, place the shells inbetween the fingers ofyour off hand. After the first shot,with the thumb ofyour trigger finger hand break it open, when it ejects shove a shell in fast.
I do this when shooting a semishot gun that loads from the bottom. I keep shells inbetween the fingers of my off hand and as I shoot, I keep slipping one in the magazine and it gives me 6 shots if I need them!

Old 12-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Spike

I shoot a 20 gauge Ruger Red Label at trap and in the field on birds. I find it very capable of doing the job. I have shot as high as 50 straight on trap and I kill most but not all. I get into much of rush at times and not get the wood to the wood.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Spike

I shoot a 20 gauge Ruger Red Label at trap and in the field on birds. I find it very capable of doing the job. I have shot as high as 50 straight on trap and I kill most but not all. I get into much of rush at times and not get the wood to the wood.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bobeyerite

bobey, do you consider a Red Label an inexpensive double?Read his post again!
Old 12-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Typical Buck

You might want to look into H & R guns. They have interchangeable barrels, with one model having rifle calibers. I have a .410 for dog training. Solid clean piece of hardware. Price is about $40 more than Rossi. H&R is made in the U.S vs. Brazil.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:30 PM

I already have an H and R with 12ga rifled/sighted barrel for deer. Shoots well and is nice and light. I am actually considering getting accessory barrels in 20ga rifled and 20ga for my kids to shoot. And, I thought, might be nice to try for myself with a 12ga barrell.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Typical Buck

12ga + light gun = [:'(]
Old 12-30-2005, 06:13 PM

i shot my first pheasant with a 20ga single shot and take it everyonce in a while. id advise just not loading you nova up all the way just put one or two in and i should be a bit lighter. if not ive got a mossberg silver reserve filed i use for trap and upland and its not to heavy and is fairly well priced.

Quick Reply: Ever used a single shot for Pheasant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.