Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Any Chuckar hunters out there? >

Any Chuckar hunters out there?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Any Chuckar hunters out there?

Old 10-31-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Any Chuckar hunters out there?

Hey hunting budies! I looked all over the forums trying to find something about them Chukars but found non. How are the populations doing this year in the western states? I have heard due to good rain falls the past couple of years, birds are abandant.I am not in the States right now but will be comming over in December and defenately gona do some hunting in California around Bishop. Any news? Plus if you got anything to say about them redlegged son of a guns, pour your heart out.I appreciate it.
Plus what kind of dog besides GSP's do you recommand for hunting them in the western states?I have heard Labs are soft-footed for that type of terrain and all the long haired canines are not suitable for the brushy-thorny California terrains.Any opinions?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:17 PM

Default RE: Any Chuckar hunters out there?

I live in Washington State nd numbers are good. I have not been out yet but hear from friends that they may be up a little or the same as last year, which was a great year.

In Washington English Setters, Brittaneys, and GSP/WHPs would work the best as long as they can range out to cover the big country. The heat is a problem in the early season but as it gets cold the longer hair coat is good to keep the cold off your dog.

When the time comes to get my dog I'll be getting one from this breeder www.seattlesetters.com awesome dogs
Old 11-01-2005, 05:01 PM

Thanks Scott. I have never been to Oregan or Washington. I have always thought of that part of the country as being green and covered with trees since you get a lot of rain up there. Have you got any picutures of your hunts that show what it looks like up there? I cant imagine Chuckars living in such green environment.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:55 PM

I went to Red Mountain in the Mohave Preserve in California on opening day. I have never seen so many chukar in my life. I have also never seen so many chukar hunters in my life, you would have thought it was a dove field in the flats.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 PM

Sean,

The state splits in two. Westside is temperate rain forest like you expect. Lots of cedar and fir trees and rainy. East of the cascade mounatins is high desert much like eatern Oregon, Utah, or Nevada. Sage brush, rattle snakes and even some cactus.

Here is a picture from my friends web site. This is his dog flash in typical Washington Chukar country

Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM

It is beautiful out there. Perfect chuckar country. What else can you hunt out in Washington?Duck, pheasant, quail? I have done most of my hunting in Imperial valley east of Sandiego and then in Sierrra Nevada around Bishop. Dont like big game hunting and love hunting birds. I am moving back to the States and may come to Washington to see if i like it. I have heard oregon and utah is also good chuckar country. Right?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

Sean
In East Wash., turkey, huns, gambril andCA quail, pheasant, chukar, ptarmigan and grouse. I prolly missed some. Also waterfowl, since Wash. is located on the pacific flyway. West Wash, turkey, grouse and a sprinkling of CA quail.

Scott
You may want to check these guys also: http://www.cannonballsetters.com/ . I don't know them personally but they deal in Llewellins. Llewellins have that natural instinct to hunt. Anyway, you cant go wrong with Seattle Setters.

Also, any recommendations on where to hunt? I live in West Wash and will be going there after the Nov 30 west washington pheasant season. Most likely in the Potholes area for pheasants. I now have a young Llew (after years without a good birddog) and wouldn't mind recommendations on where to hunt
Old 11-05-2005, 12:29 AM

Thanks Mite
quite informantive. I am hearing about this Llewellins for the first time in this site. I saw a picture of one which was absolutely beautiful. Arent they too hyper? Send me photos of the pup you got.
The second alternetive to hunting is sitting here and talking about them with other outdoors men.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:33 AM

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1269305
see the following link cool pic
Old 11-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Typical Buck

All hunting dogs are hyper. My pup will chew everything in sight if I don't take her running.

Llewellins areenglish setters, like Tomko or Ryman. They have a their registry in the American Field's Field Dog Stud Book (as opposed to AKC) simply because of timing. They dominated field trails in their hayday (1900's) but now known as a foothunting dog. They have to be DNA tested to be registered so breeding is alittle more strict. Other than that, they are no different than an english setter, Ryman or otherwise. Here is a pick when she was younger.

Quick Reply: Any Chuckar hunters out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.