Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

YIPEE!!!!

Old 10-28-2005, 11:47 PM

Default YIPEE!!!!

November 12 pheasant and quail season opens here in Kansas!!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:28 AM

Default RE: YIPEE!!!!

Heck YEAH!! I've been waiting all year for this. Been waiting to get away from college to go hang out with my long time hunting buddies and new hunting buddies from college. It's another good year with pheasant populations up more even from last year. Hope to get me a few ringnecks, who knows maybe i'll limit out.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:01 PM

ive never limited out yet, buti still love to go out there and watch the dogs work and shoot the breeze with family aand friends...
Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 PM

This will be my first year hunting kansas and i dont know what to expect. I dont have a dog. Any pointers without a dog.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 PM

Personally I love to hunt with a dog. Especially when you get a point and you just know one's going to bust out cackaling and getting your blood pumping. But since you are w/o a dog you will have to slow down and bit and to make sure you cover as much ground as possible. Another thing is once you shoot a bird make sure you mark it good and if you hit him and ar unsure if he is dead put another round in him. I have hit birds 5 yds. infront of me no kidding and they have ran and I have lost a few like that. The hardest part w/o a dog is finding your birds sometimes so be sure to get a good mark on where your bird goes down. Other than that just have fun!!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:57 AM

I do want to get a dog soon well see. I am looking into a GSP would you suggest a started one or go with a pup
Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 PM

I say start with a pup to get max bonding, then you control what you get out of the dog. i hunt Brittanys but GSP are great all around dogs, very affectionate. How crowded are the WIHA on opening day in KS. we have some fav. spots, and i am worried it will be a zoo. This is my first opening day in KS. i generally hunt the 2nd weekend of thee season.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:24 PM

actually i have a friend with about 900 achers of wheat and corn. I hope it will be good without a dog

Old 11-02-2005, 02:11 PM

It should be good. Hunt the edges and go through as much brush as possible. The corn will be WAY WAY more productve than the wheat. 1 because of cover and 2 because of waste grain. Also, make sure to watch the covey to see where the singles land or you will have little shot at reflushing them
Old 11-02-2005, 09:00 PM

My experience with WIHA's around the Salina area is they are packed the first couple of weekends. Last year we went out and it was pretty much a zoo. I felt so unsafe because we would start hunting an open WIHA and then once we got into it, another group would come in the same field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.