Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

no lab lover

Old 09-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default no lab lover

borrowed a friends chocolate lab ...followed a trail ..got to the woods....fired a shot.....lab took off....called and searched for lab....for about an hour.. got back to truck .....LAB sitting in truck.....damned dog....damned friend.

Lab is about 4yrs old obviously not field trained....can this old dog be taught new tricks??????
Old 09-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: no lab lover

He sure can but you just made training much harder - the dog's now gunshy .
Old 09-08-2005, 08:01 AM

Why would anyone ask to borrow a dog from anyone? I would not loan a dog to anyone anymore than I would loan my wife. Obviously you had no knowledge of this dog and should have never borrowed it in the first place!!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always used a situation like this to tag alone. You want my dog you take me with to work with him.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Oh, it didn't register on me that you borrowed the lab. The dog could have been trained. But most one man dogs will search out its owner in the field. If your friend says the dog is trained, then you'll have to take your friend or the same thing is going to happen again no matter how much training he has had, the lab that is.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:08 PM

My experience is that dogs are easier to train than dog trainers.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

The dog is trained. he knew the hunting wasn't any good there and he wanted to drive to a new location. I bet you took the keys didn't you.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

GEE fellas the dogs not dead!!!!!!! I fed him good...hes sorta trained im now told...also not ruined according to other dog experts . So Im not a BAD GUY....... Maybe the dog new it was a waste of time...who knew. Is it possible that some dogs have jobs that they enjoy no matter who is driving the truck.?? I know of a pheasant farm that has working dogs to let .But for all my critics ..I wont do it again...FORGIVE ME MY SINS....

when and how are dogs trained to not be afraid of gunshots...I seen a few dog types that are afraid of thunder...anybody know the secret training ??

Gee... DRgildy your pretty ruff like .....WOW!! PUMP THOSE BRAKES
Im not saying this for applause... Im just trying to tell you a story Your wife is probably a nice person why bring her into this??????? Im looking for answers not to be put down...damn your ruff!!
Old 09-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Typical Buck

My suggestion would be to let the owner train the dog. He knows the dog, the dog's temperment, habits, etc. and he should know what commands he wants to teach the dog. Plus, you should not even try to train him if you don't know what your doing. Too many things can go wrong, especially with introduction tothe gun. I have seen too many promising dogs ruined by owners who thought, "this might be a good idea."

Tell your friend to get a good retriever book or check one out at the library.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks MITE. Its not my dog...the owner halfassed trained him...Im looking for books on the subject, talking to guys I know who have great dogs.....Maybe in time ..Ill get a pup and see that heeze trained professionally so as not to upset the dog or some folk in this forum....thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.