Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

First Dove opener.

Old 09-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Spike

Default First Dove opener.

Wow! Just took my nephew for our first Dove opener on Sept.1 here in central Calif. on a Wildlife Area. I have never seen such pandemonium in my life. It's a wonder nobody got shot. Thankfully, no one shot low. Is it the same in other parts of the country? If this is normal, I think I'll head back to the hills and chase quail.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:12 PM

Default RE: First Dove opener.

Welcome to dove hunting on public land! I grew up hunting in southern Ohio and always had private land but spent the last 3 years in east Tennessee. It's just like you described in TN...and I didn't like it one bit. Don't hesitate one second to tell people about it if you see them being unsafe. I don't know how many low shots I've seen in public fields in TN. I hunt with my Weim during dove season to get him ready for quail season, and I get real mad when people are shooting a couple feet over his head (which happens to be about eye level with my head)!

My advice would be to find some good private land even if the birds are so plentiful. Dove hunting is a great way to get a youth hooked on bird hunting, and a great way to learn good shooting and safety habits. Good luck
Old 09-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First Dove opener.

hunted el centro for dove about four years ago in the opener...yes, it is that crazy there. not so on the private farm here in va. never have I had soooo much fun hunting birds...the key? a water hole at dusk....