Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey hunters calling in predators >

Turkey hunters calling in predators

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey hunters calling in predators

Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Turkey hunters calling in predators

My hunting partner called in a really large coyote on Monday morning that tried to attack his decoys. I had some type of REALLY BIG hawk, owl or other bird take a swipe at my passive hen decoy. It happened too fast to get a good look at the perpetrator.

I've heard more stories this year of hunters seeing/calling in predators than ever before.

Is this a trend that any of you guys are seeing, or is it just coincidence??
Old 05-09-2005, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Turkey hunters calling in predators

This past Friday and Saturday mornings I had close encounters with a coyote....the 2nd time I saw him, I taught him a powerful 10 gauge lesson about sneaking up on hen yelps.....no, I did not kill him but he's probably still running....

I have been listening to coyotes in this one area I hunt. The howling seems to keep the gobblers going for a while....invariably, the gobblers shut up when it appears that the coyote has been spotted...that's when it seems like the coyotes are homing in on the hen yelps...2 years ago I passed on a coyote that was stalking my calls (in the same area)....it's a good thing I didn't take a shot....a little later I got the biggest gobbler I ever shot!

Some years ago I had a fox stalking my decoy just like a cat (belly to the ground)....when he winded me, he jumped straight up, did a 180, and just sailed across the meadow.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a similar thread I started today (This sucks...), I recall how on Friday I called in a coyote and today called in a Fisher cat.

Until this season, I had encountered a few large birds and the occasional housecat/dog, but not predator.

I'd say the incidences are increasing...at least personally.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I called in a yote on opening morning in Vermont this year. It only came into about 60 yards otherwise I would have sent a load of 1 3/4oz #5's his way. I may try some turkey calls this summer when I go yote calling.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I called in a coyote the second day of the RI season. He came to my calls and stopped behind some small pines about 10 yards away. He took 1 step out, looked directly at me and my partner and froze there for probably 10 seconds. He probably heard us whispering to each other about whether or not we should nail him, then he turned and took off. That was unusual, but what was even more unusual was I saw a coyote crusing along a ditch this afternoon while I was heading back to the office after lunch. I know we have coyotes around, but the middle of the day right next to a busy road seemed kind of odd.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

What is a Fisher cat?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dads freind killed one while turkey hunting he was hunting a feild edge and it was chasing a turkey so he waved it off and it turned and ran after him. he almost got another thatday but didnt shoot at it
Old 05-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got the funniest video last year during turkey season of a yote jumping one of my decoys, He was crossing the field that I was set-up in about 200 yards away, It took him about 10 minutes to sneak in, the funny thing was it was just a short pasture with nothing for him to hide behind on his sneak, He knew instantly that he had been had once he hit the decoy, he spun around and ran right beside a hen decoy making no attempt to nab her, he knew something very strange was going on or mabye smelled my scent on the decoy, LOL. it is really funny.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:22 PM
CJW

Last year I called in a yote. It hit my hen decoy at about 15 yds. and proceeded to run directly at me. At about 5 ft. away from the tips of my boots I let go with a shot not even aiming, missing him completely, and at about 3-4 ft. he decided he should turn and run the other direction. I guess my camo is pretty good, but my shot wasn't so good.

That was a heart pounding experience. And that is as close to a wild live yote I ever want to be again.

CJW
Old 05-09-2005, 08:19 PM

I've called in a few Bobcats before. Closet one was five yards. Was a pretty interesting ordeal. One time I picked up my decoy only to realize there was a bobcat staring right at me at 4 yds.!!!! He was stalking my decoy and i didn't even realize it. Thought he was gonna charge me but he didn't.

Quick Reply: Turkey hunters calling in predators

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.