Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tagged out in NY

Old 05-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tagged out in NY

Tagged out in NY

Day eight, and the 2nd NY 2005 spring tag has been filled out!

Since opening day I passed on jakes on two different days, and held off on a 50 some yard shot on a long beard on 5/6. Set up on four gobbling birds this morning with my wife Lee "gobblin hen" on point while I covered the down side of the hill.

Some fool of a neighbor went straight at the birds on top of the hill as it got light, and sent the gobbler out into the bowl, and one directly overhead and way past us. At least my neighbor didn't bother to keep running the poor imitation of a box call after that.

The gobbler that flew down behind us opened up within ten minutes of being busted off the roost. The longbeard was responsive to the calls, but I couldn't be sure were he really was. A few short minutes the bird gobbled at us from downhill, and was within 100 yards. I got spun around the tree, but my wife stayed put.

A minute latter, and a very loud, deep cluck came from my immediate left. I spotted the gobbler, and he was just below the roadway, and below the lip of our position. He was swinging beard, which made him an eligible candidate for a ride home in the truck. I held on the shot, hoping he would cross up, and spot the decoys. Not so, he quickly turned to head back down the hill, and I wasn't going to let him just humiliate us, and walk out of there.

He stopped at 30 yards, and I centered the holosight below his head. He dropped at the shot, and didn't flop until I got to him. His beard taped out to 10", sported 7/8" spurs, but amazingly light weight. Live weight was 14lbs 12oz. Lightest longbeard I have ever taken. I was glad to tag the gobbler, but it would have been a better deal if the all the four birds had gotten a chance to meet us at one time, then two birds might have caught a ride back home with us! I have hunted this spot many times, and been outsmarted by gobblers doing an end run downhill, and never to return that morning. I wanted Lee to tag out first this season as I will be out most of the mornings as always in NY. She has limited time, as work requires her to be in very early during the week. Hopefully, we'll get more volunteer gobblers to sign up next weekend.

Rest of the morning was quiet and uneventful. Sure was a bright sunny day, and we enjoyed that during the hunt. Now I will spend the rest of the season as a designated caller. Pressure is off, and now I can sit back and enjoy!

Old 05-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tagged out in NY

Great Job!!! I am goning out tuesday and wednesday and hope to have some luck.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on your bird[8D]
Old 05-09-2005, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Nice hunt and great pic. I grew up in Skaneateles, so I know those hills. Congrats...
Old 05-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats really nice bird! Oh and yea great view from the first pic.[8D]
Old 05-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Great bird. How could anyone not enjoy hunting that area. Beautiful woods.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. That is a nice bird.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Nice pictures. Congrats.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

good job do you know anyone who works at cortland college?