Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Stuck my second! (pic) -- also: plz help identify breeds >

Stuck my second! (pic) -- also: plz help identify breeds

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stuck my second! (pic) -- also: plz help identify breeds

Old 05-02-2005, 11:00 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default Stuck my second! (pic) -- also: plz help identify breeds

Hey guys! What a year! Arrowed my second of the season last weekend, after going 0-for-2004. This one isn't as big as the first, but he looks like he was out of the jake stage anyway. I posted the story on the bowhunting forum here if you'd like to read it, but again I got long-winded, so I thought I'd just post the link in case you only want the Cliff's Notes version.

Equipment: '04 BowTech Liberty, Gold Tip 3D Pro arrow (the very same arrow used for the first - it's definitely a keeper!) and a Muzzy 3 blade broadhead.

Bird: (These are guesses, since we had no scale or tape measure and I sacked up the bird and froze him before we got home) 15-17lbs, 7 inch beard, 1/4-1/2 spurs.

Got him 300+ miles away from where I got the first. First was in NE South Dakota, this was in SW SoDak. Unless there's been some cross breeding, this appears to be a Merriam's, and my first was a Rio (I believe), so I just need to find some Easterns around here now!

Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stuck my second! (pic)

congrats, awesome pic......
Old 05-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

CJ, good job!

Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 AM

Congrats!
Old 05-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job!!
Old 05-03-2005, 08:24 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Hey - I was wondering if I could get some opinions, since I'm not exactly an expert on all things turkey. (maybe someday, though!)

Am I mistaken on this bird (the one pictured above) being a Merriam's? Is it possibly a hybrid? I thought the tips on the Merriam's were supposed to be pure white, (those I see in photos are) but those on the bird I took are more light cream-colored.

Also - I had a few people say that my first bird (below) was an Eastern, but I think it looks more like a Rio. Am I missing something? Here's a pic of that one again:

Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 PM

Nice bird first of all. Second of all cj is right that isn't a merriams. Looks more like a rio or a hybrid. Merriams have white tail tips. As for rio grande turkeys, the feathers right below the actual fan are a light golden brown, as for an easterns their feathers right below the actual tail fan are a dark brown and most of the time the tips of the fan are dark brown as well. CJ i'd say you shot a rio. Hope this helps
Old 05-03-2005, 08:53 PM
c j
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Deer_Tracker

Nice bird first of all. Second of all cj is right that isn't a merriams. Looks more like a rio or a hybrid. Merriams have white tail tips. As for rio grande turkeys, the feathers right below the actual fan are a light golden brown, as for an easterns their feathers right below the actual tail fan are a dark brown and most of the time the tips of the fan are dark brown as well. CJ i'd say you shot a rio. Hope this helps
So you think they're BOTH Rios, then?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great pic!!Congrats to you!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:08 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Still hoping to get some opinions on the two birds - Deer Trackers input was helpful, but I'm still not sure which bird (or both?) he's referring to when he said it was a Rio.

Please let me know what you guys think. The bird at the top of the thread looks more like a Merriam's to me, but yet not 100%, whereas the bird in the 2nd pic lower down looks like a Rio. But again, I'm the last thing from an expert, so that's why I'd like your input.

Quick Reply: Stuck my second! (pic) -- also: plz help identify breeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.