Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rifle states????

Old 05-01-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Rifle states????

I've tagged turkey's with shotguns and I've missed with bows but what I'd like to try just once is turkeys with a rifle. It seems like cheating to me but I'd like to give it a try. Does anybody know the states where it's legal?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:23 AM

Default RE: Rifle states????

Rifle's are legal in Colorado during the fall season. I don't think that I will ever use on for a turkey, but that's just me.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:36 AM

They are legal in Fl. I don't use them,just like getting them in close.
to me with a rife you mess up a lot of good meat(theres not all that much on a bird anyway).

I would like to see Fl. do away with rifles for turkey hunting.thats just me. JMHO[&:]
Old 05-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

In Texas both rimfire and centerfire cartirdges are legal. In the past I have taken alot of them while deer hunting in the fall. While using a 22rf, 22 hornet, 223, 220 swift, 22-250 both in handguns or rifles a head shot or a shot at the base of the neck works well for me. I have taken them at 10 yards and a couple at distances stretching to several hundred yards. If it's legal in your state I dont see why people have a problem with it. Hitting small targets isnt easy and one should know his or her limitations. I do however love spring turkey hunting and use a shotgun exclusively during it but in the fall if a good gobbler is seen and all I have is one of my trusty rifles I just might tag em.

life is good...doubleA
Old 05-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree wih Tree CLimber!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:01 AM

There Legal In The Black Hills Of Wyoming Where I Was Hunting. I Dont Like The Fact Of Rifles For Hunting Turkeys. So I Used My 870. Never Did Get A Turkey Tho. Passed Two Jakes And Buddy Got A Tom With His 870.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:35 AM

I wish it was illegal in all states to hunt them with a rifle.

Hal
Old 05-02-2005, 09:36 AM

I love hunting turkeys with a rifle I dont feel its cheating at all. If you have ever hunted log jumpers in the deep swamp lands then you know why. I believe its as much a challenge to shoot a turkey in the head/neck with a rifle at 60 -100 yards as it is to call one up to 20 yards. I have killed far more birds with my shot gun but when I get one thats held up I got somethin for him too. I use a 22 hornet and yes I have killed them at 100 yards with it and not hurt any meat.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

They're legal in Virginia also