Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 awesome opening day story... >

awesome opening day story...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

awesome opening day story...

Old 04-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default awesome opening day story...

had an awesome morning....get there at 520...pouring rain...no biggie im hunting....found a nice little pine tree and busted out a little hole and tucked in under that....i knew i was early...i did that on purpose so they didnt bust me..about 6 or so i heard one sound off..long deep throaty roar of probably the boss tom....then a bunch of jakes went nuts...so i snuck down the hill 50yds and set up..slate call worked once...they went nuts..then it was soaked...so i busted out the box call...they were going nuts..at me...at crows...at trucks on the turnpike...finally around...ahh 7ish id say they flew down..the big long gobble was coming down the field edge right for me...i had to turn to the right i thought theyd come through the woods..couple mins later there he is...60yds away in the field..im 30 or 40yds from the field edge in a little clear piece of woods....hes going nuts...then i see another head behind him over the hill...he comes to about 40-45yds strutting behind a bush...i snuck my gun into position...waited..after what seemed like an hour later he finally decided to walk towards me...then i see the other bird coming through the woods...that bird never gobbled...hes at 30..i click off the saftey...comes around a tree..hes at 20...then i see his wanna be beard jutting out of his chest..little jake...he runs clear to 5yds from me..starring me in the eyes...the other bird is working his way in..hes in range but i cant move...i cant even blink..my eyes dried..i had tears running down my face....i thought the jake looked away so i blinked real fast and he started putting...i didnt move a muscle except my eyes...but he started putting like crazy and i couldnt calm him down...him and the long beard snuck away and headed across a road with a group of hens...it was a great day...wish that jake wasnt there...ole boss tom woulda been mine...i shoulda hit the jake with a stick!!! when i moved my box call got left behind and was soaked..all i had was a mouth call and i cant barely use one...but they thought i sounded ok..both kept gobbling at me until i got busted...it was a great day...but im being picky for a while...think i got all next week to hunt....so we shall see what happens....
Old 04-30-2005, 09:30 AM

Default RE: awesome opening day story...

You will get the Ole Boss Tom next week. Now you know where to setup at.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

very true.....i just dont know if he will fall for the same thing or not....if i would stayed in the woods under the pine...where i was...he would walked right to me or hung up at the field edge 10yds away....but the good thing is....he didnt hear my swwwwwwwweeet sounds of my 2 slate calls....and didnt get worked with my box call too hard....so he wont have my sounds memorized...i think ill set up on the field corner....and borrow a decoy from someone.....he should come running to a decoy....or i could totally fool him.....and set up on the right side of him and call him down that way...the rest of the flock flew that way i believe.....or i could set up in the big field that they go through before they cross the road to the other field.....god only knows why they cross the road to the other field....they got fields and woods right there....why leave? but i saw them there twice now.....i got alot of options.....hes gota be the boss tom though....big or not he was definently dominate...the jake didnt even gobble in fear of being beaten....and the way he hung up just to strut shows his dominance....his beard was visible and hanging...atleast 8 inches....hed be a shooter....cant wait to get back out there.....i know i didnt mess up that bad....they still dont know what htey saw.....
Old 04-30-2005, 03:59 PM

Sounds like fun.I'm guessing you will be rewarded for letting the jake walk.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey.....i hope so....but even if im not rewarded with that boss tom....or any other long beard....ill still be happy with my decision....its just me.....i like em with long beards and sharp spurs.....i mean....im not one of the guys that judge the inches of the beard and try to look at the spurs before firing....if i know its a mature long beard 2+yrs old im smokin him......but i knew that jake was a jake....had no long beard.....so i let him walk....if i end the season without a chance at a long beard ill still be happy i let the jake walk.....coz next year....he aint gunna be so lucky...he grauates....and grows....and makes him fair game for me!! i hope it pays off.....another point is....i know it CAN pay off....if i would shot the jake i would never have a chance to tag the long beard becasue we can only kill one bird.....monday is another day......i cant wait.....i just HOPE noone else saw them birds in the field and plan to screw me....thats a big fear right now......but them PA birds are awful hot right now....cant wait......
Old 04-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

mauser06; the reason he left, he didn't see any hen & had some others he had to tend.
try a jake & hen or two & set back & watch the fireworks.
This has worked for me time & time again.
Hope this works for you, keep trying,theres no greater place to be.G.B. 50
Old 04-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes i know thats why they were suspicious....the jake knew EXZACTLY what tree the hen sounds came from...he looked me right in the eyes....did the ole stare down.........moving his head side to side trying to figure out what the heck i was....the long beard would never hung up if i had a decoy....i know the stores are out of them...i never use them..never really needed them in the big woods i normally hunt....but hunting these farms i wish i had one...trying to bum one from a buddy....all i need is ONE hen....i know thats all it would take to keep them walking....but if i dont get one ill just set up in the woods a bit....so they HAVE to walk in the woods...IN RANGE...to see the hen (me) and ill greet him with a load of HV copper 5s.....seems like they work that way naturally....and end up feeding in that field...then crossing the road to the other field.....then back over again.....my buddy called me at 1230 and said all 5 are back in my field....cant wait.....i just hope they stay as hot as they are....thats exciting...no ***** footing around...call em outa the tree and they hit the ground running to me.....i love it like that.......cant wait....hopefully next time i got some pics and a better story.....