Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Southern Indiana Results >

Southern Indiana Results

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Southern Indiana Results

Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 AM

Default Southern Indiana Results

First, this was my first time having to call myself. It made for a very exciting time.

I set down in the woods on the morning of the 27th. I had no luck with the hoot for locating any birds. I sat down off an old logging road. After afew minutes, I heard a far away gobble. I decided to do some light calling and see if anything close would sound off. I did a couple easy yelps and nothing. I decided to try to cluck afew times and the whole area lit up with toms.

I got positioned toward the couple that sounded the closest to me. I worked on them for about 10 minutes. Nothing made them sound off except the clucks. While working them, I started hearing some toms to my left maybe 100 yards off or so and also behind me as well. Now, with every cycle of clucks, i got about 6 or 8 replies. Finally, the ones in front of me must have henned up and stopped talking to me.

I was almost ready to give up and something caught my eye to the right. I thought maybe 2 deer running. AFter following looking hard, I seen 2 heads poking way up above the weeds and they were running. They came from behind me. I did afew more clucks and the did a 180 and come out to the road at full run. They then turned and made a straight line at me.

At probably 15 yards, I let my 3in. #4 shot go. Down the first one went. I started dancing and a yelling. This was the first bird I have called and and the biggest I have killed. Only other bird was called in my a buddy and was a jake.

Looks pretty rought, but he was soaked from running through the tall weeds. Sun hadn't come out and dried up all the dew yet. After cleaning and getting the tail dried, it looks real pretty now. Here is a pic of the results!

Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 AM

Default RE: Southern Indiana Results

one more pic as well.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go man!! They are all special but the first one you call in for yourself is extra special. Congrats!
Old 04-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

congrats, hope i can connect this weekend and add to the indiana bird harvest count
Old 04-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkey hunting is hard to beat when they respond to the calls, good job!

Congratulations!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

congrats!!! nice bird.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i llike to shootmine wet to they weigh more