Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

South Dakota question

Old 04-27-2005, 11:21 AM

Default South Dakota question

Hello everyone,

Myself and two other friends of mine are heading out to The Black Hills This Sunday, coming home Wednesday. We are planing to stay in Hill City. I am Just looking for any tips or advise for dealing with Black hills Gobblers.

Any words of wisdom or tips on locations welcome.

Thanks in advance

Jerry
Old 04-27-2005, 12:05 PM

Default RE: South Dakota question

Well the weather should be improving by then. But if you find that the birds up at higher elevations won't work for you head lower. Also a more aggressive run and gun aproach works well out there.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck Turkey Addict. I'm heading out that way myself Next Tuesday. Found a nice cabin with fireplace and am looking forward to getting out there and doing some hunting. Came close last season but couldn't quite connect on one. Beautiful country out there for sure. It's been a little chilly out there from what I'm seeing but I'd rather have that than too hot as it keeps ya cool when covering territory. Have fun out there...
Old 04-27-2005, 04:03 PM

Jerry,I hope the weather improves for you.I hunted the Black Hills of Wyoming last year.Most of the birds we took were not coming to the call, but you could keep them gobbling enough to use the terrain to get ahead of them.Good luck and take lots of pictures.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:12 PM

i live close to hill city, the weather should be better by then, if u hunt west of hill city towards deerfield u will find some nice birds. look to field edges and do a lot of glassing. when u find them sneak on them or get ahead of them. not calling very well yet! good luck!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:44 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Eat at the Alpine Inn in Hill City. You get your choice of either Fillet Mignon or...... Fillet Mignon. And it will set you back about $10.

Also, at least drive past Crazy Horse. One of the greatest man-made accomplishments in the world. No, it's not done. Rome wasn't built in a day, as they say.

As for the birds, I couldn't tell ya. When I'm in the hills I'm on a bike checking out the flashing women at the Rally.

Edit: Oh wait - forgot to say if you get to Rapid, eat at Sanfords. They give you a toasted hoagie bun and honey butter with most of the dinners. It's amazing.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Was out at Ditch Creek last weekend - put up the tent after we scraped 4 inches of snow off the ground. Had a tom gobble real close to the tent at 5:30 friday morning - never got to see him and didnt see another bird until 3 pm that afternoon. Ended up shooting a jake about 6 or so that day. Hope your weather is better than ours - 28 or so degrees Thursday nite, high of 45 Friday and cold friday nite (left at 9 and it was about the same, looking to get colder.)

Good luck to all going out!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:16 PM

Thanks to all for the pointers and Kind words so far,

I have a good sized Topo of The Black Hills coming tomorrow, I hope. It covers most of the middle part of the Black Hills. One guy, (Al) and myself have both been in the Black Hills on different vacations in the past. So we at least have a basic Idea of what its like out there. From what I have read about Merriam's you can get a little more loud or agressive with them, and they like to gobble more than easterns. By the looks of the long term forecast the weather should be Ok with highs near 60 and partly cloudy. I just hope it dosn't get real windy. Are there any big issues out there with Bugs and ticks? I hope we can find time to see some of the sites, It has been five years since I have been out there. We will take pleanty of pictures. I hope a few have Gobblers in them.

thanks again

Jerry
Old 04-27-2005, 09:24 PM

as far as ticks! yes, i was out a few days ago and brought home atleast a dozen. my fualt i know better than to walk in high brush this time of the year![:@]try not to walk though high brush u should not have any problems! and good luck!
Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes ticks just got home from there this morning....if you can wait i would wait the gobblers are so hen'd up right now its bad. seen a jake with 15 hens one day good luck . i was out 5 miles west of custer i only called on in and never got a arrow off.the only reason he came in is cause i was under his tree