Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 PA Youth hunt success story! >

PA Youth hunt success story!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

PA Youth hunt success story!

Old 04-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default PA Youth hunt success story!

Well we headed up and got there at midnight. No sleep for me. Well my buddy's son turned 12 in Feb so it would be his first hunting experience ever. Well it rained like all get out Friday into Sat. Morning. We got up and trudged down the road at 5am. WE got set up and waited for daylight. Nothing gobbled until around 7am and he was 200 yards from us. We decided to make a move and found the birds in a field, around 150 yards by now in the middle of the field. We waited for them to go over a hill and we took off after them. We finally got caught up and were around 90 yards in front of them. I called a nice longbeard. in and he hung up around 30 yards. I told him to go ahead and shoot, BANG, I jumped up to watch the bird run away. Clean miss, I did have another buddy videoing and when we watched the video you could see him lift up off the gun to look at the bird as he pulled the trigger. Needless to say he was quite disappointed. So back to where we originally started to see if any had moved into the area. As we got about half way back I saw three hens and a Jake enter into the field we were hunting. We waited and then moved up the hill to the edge of the field. We got set up and I started calling. They came alive. They double triple gobbled the whole way in. A nice Long Beard came into view first strutting in like a king. I could see four gobblers behind and running full steam. Well he was just about into range and the other gobblers passed him. AJ saw an opportunity and squeezed off the shot and this time hit him right in the head. NO MISS this time. We ran up and grabbed his bird. It turned out that he had a 5 inch beard with about .5" spurs and weighed 17lbs. All in All it was an awesome hunt.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PA Youth hunt success story!

Sorry about that picture is working now.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to him and you on an exciting hunt!!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story Pat! My little cousin shot one Saturday also. It was his first bird. I tried to post a pic but it wouldn't accept it. I will try again later.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:27 PM

Nice work pat, sounds like you guys had an exciting hunt. oh but pat just because you have a big head don't mean you need to wear two hats EH!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:34 PM

Congrats! What an awesome experience for him.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats! hes hooked now! 2 shots in one day......man! good job to you.....must be doin somethin right....cant wait for saturday......i hope to get out on the opener......
Old 04-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

thats awesome its good to see the kids get lucky and have fun.. now its our turn next sat. woohooooo.. i cant wait.. i hope the weather gets nicer its freakin cold and rain/snow out right now.. [:@]
Old 04-25-2005, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

congrads AJ, that is a great looking bird. hay dad, do ya think he's hooked? I know my son is, he got his first this year also. theres no better feeling.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:03 AM

congrats. to AJ. "He Done Did Good"

Quick Reply: PA Youth hunt success story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.