Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team #1 - got my third

Old 04-19-2005, 08:40 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Team #1 - got my third

Well Chester talked to him made by Larry Gresser but he needed help. It was his cousin Alvin made by Andy Kiaser along with Penny Purple Heart that made this Tom or I should say Toms talk to me.

I had patterned these two birds all day on Sunday as Michigan opener was 4/18. I'd check in and sneak the property but could always find these two struttin' or loafin' under a cedar. I did not call to them at all but snuck up to watch them fly-dwon and them shadow them a bit. And I thought I had roosted the! NOT!

Anyhow my partner and I where finally going to hunt together after almost 20 years of being alone. He has seen me kill a bird but I had never watched him do the deed.
Anyhow I got there at 4:45 AM...set the Double Bull Blind in what I thought was the Strut Zone. As day light approached we heard Gobbles but not where I had anticipated them to be. Instead they ahd somehow made an end around run on me and where in the field i saw them the night before. Strange thing was I lost track of them for a short bit and guessed. Well we sat in the blind for better than 4.5 hours and didn't see a bird! My buddy wanted a bow-kill and to make him sit out that ling was all he could take! So he left me at noon.
I also sat there totally disgusted but am too stubborn to leave. I mean I saw at least 25+ good Toms in one day.....not heard them....saw them.....and most where in areas we could hunt!
But dang-it!.....
At Noon the wind started to blow...it was calm all morning......and as I started to doze - my new Double Bull Blind blew right off me and was rolling down the field. To say the least I was pissed! So I packed all the gear that two guys had hauled out there and humped it back in to my truck. Was quite a load. As I approached my truck I thought to myself that I should at least go to the area I saw them strut the night before and it was the area we heard them from in the morning. I mean after an hour or so the woods was totally quiet.
So I just kept walking till I got to the end of a long row of hay bales. looked for a spot to pop-up the blind once again.
This time I time one blind support to a wire fence, one end to the twine of the baled hay and used one decoy stake. At least it wasn't going to blow off my head again.
I set out only 2 decoys - both hens. But one hen was laid flat on the ground in breeding position. All set at 12:26 PM.....and so I sat.
I didn't call until 12:49 Pm. Started with Chester, and went to Alvin both with assorted strikers, tried a wingbone or two and was bored. I mean I did not see a hen at all in that other field and was frustrated to say the least. I was tied too and I started to doze but looked out and thought I saw a tree stump moving! hehe Moving stumps.....Wrong....there was one of the two Toms I had saw the night before. And not long behind him was his buddy.......so I clucked a bit more and then Tom #1 saw the decoys. Tom #2 was just sort of feeding. Tom #1 was a mature bird I guessed a 2 or 3 year old but did not have as nice of a beard as Tom #2. So I just waited. I did take a few home movies of Tom #1 coming in within 11 paces to my breeding position hen and trying to breed her. It was when this tom went to mount the his blow-up doll that Tom #2 noticed and started to run to get in on the fun! He was on the other side of the wire fence ( I could hunt both sides) and when Tom #2 ducked under and stuck his neck out I let him have it. Down he went!
Tom #1 just started gobbling - not really nervous but just gobbling. He then went over to his flopping buddy and just gobbled at him over and over. He stayed inthe area for at least 10 minutes going back to his now motionless buddy and just gobbled! Then he went north and stayed in that corner of the woods near the field and gobbled over an hour and a half.
Oh one more thing! I blew a new Vent hole in my NEW Double Bull Blind! hehe.....

18.7 lbs - definite 2 year old for Michigan - 9 inch beard 7/8s spurs both sides.

JW
Old 04-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team #1 - got my third

COngratulations!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job and fun story!!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:49 AM

Congrats!