Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Benelli Shotgun

Old 04-17-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Benelli Shotgun

I want to buy a new turkey shotgun. I am looking at the Benelli M2 and the Super Black Eagle 2 with the steadygrip and 24" barrel in Timber HD. Can anyone tell me what they know about these guns and do I get the 3" or do I get the 3.5". Thanks for the help!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:43 AM

Default RE: Benelli Shotgun

If you are buying the gun for only turkey hunting why not save yourself about $800 and buy a benelli nova pump? They are great guns and you should get it chambered to handle 31/2 in shells. If the gun is gonna be an "all purpose" gun then spend the money for the automatic but you'll more than likely want to buy a bigger barrell for other hunting, som ethere is even more $$$. Just my thoughts. Good luck on the purchase
Old 04-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

I'd chose the shotgun based on what fits you best. I recently purchased a Benelli Steady Grip for that very reason. Of course the quality of Benelli was another selling point too.

As far as 3" vs. 3.5" boils down to personal preference. I've owned shotguns that chamber both of these rounds. The most recent 3.5" gun, along with my prior 3" gun were both turkey only models.

I've patterned a huge number of shotty's, with all types of chokes / ammo combinations and found a marginal, if any noticable difference when the best loads hit the target board.

The 3.5" shell was originally introduced for waterfowl hunting and has made a smooth transition into the turkey woods. For me, choosing the Benelli for that little extra umph was not worth the added $300 over the 3" chamber.

I've toyed around and found a load combo with my 3" Benelli that can hold its own with any of the 3.5" thumpers. The inertia mechanics of the Benelli along with the 24" barrel makes my Steady Grip a gun for all seasons.

Good luck with whatever you decide, IMO, Benelli sure won't disappoint in performance.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a Stoeger 2000. Benelli design and costs around $400 and it is semi-auto.

Tom
Old 04-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

my neighbor has one of the steady grips. he says that he really likes it and it shoots well. he says he's able to shoot far to the right(he's right handed) with just his right had. plus it breaks down and goes into a little hard case.