Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Locator Call

Old 04-17-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Locator Call

I am looking to buy a owl locator call and need some help I would like a call that you blow into instead of suck and one that is very loud and realistic. I am willing to pay a pretty good amount for one of these. If anyone could tell me the best name brand calls and the best hand made call and where to get them i would appreciate it. thanks for any help
Old 04-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Locator Call

Well, I have the HS Strut owl hooter (I think, its in the car), and you blow into it. It's very easy to use, and with the proper tuneing (3 holes to cover with fingers) you can make it sound very realistic...however i do not know how loud it is....it doesnt seem loud, but it does feel like it would travel a long distance. good luck.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:13 PM

I like the woodwise loud clear sound and pretty cheep. I have tryed three and that was by far the best. I took the bell out of the bottom and cuped the bottom with my hands. (i think it sounds better)
Old 04-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Can other - "non-traditional" locator calls be used? I was watching Cutt'n and Strutt'n 8 and saw a tom gobble to a goose that honked in the background - or at least I thought it was a goose. Could something like a goose call be used? or would that be too unnatural?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:59 PM

If you have geese in the area that could work. With the locator calls you are trying to shock the turkey into gobbling and i have heard them gobble to roosters even before and heard of them gobbling to the slamming of a car door. I am not recomending that you go driving down the road slamming your door but there are a variety of natural noises that you could use. For example a red tailed hawk woodpecker, coyote, crow and owl are the most popular but there are many others that will work.