Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Birds and Barriers...Any suggestions? >

Birds and Barriers...Any suggestions?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Birds and Barriers...Any suggestions?

Old 04-13-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Birds and Barriers...Any suggestions?

Ok folks....I need a little help here. This is only my second year Turkey hunting and I hear all the time about how turkey generally don't like to cross boundaries like creeks, fences, etc. I am hunting on some public land with quite a few birds but it is full of these types of boundaries. The land boarders a hudge field, which is private land and the two properties are separated by a barbed wire fence. At the bottom of the area that Im hunting there is a pretty large creek with very steep banks and there are a number of small ravines, which branch off from the creek and they are as much as 10 to 15 feet deep and 8 to 10 feet wide in some areas. It is a really difficult area to hunt but there are always three to five Toms gobblin' their heads off on both sides of the creek and out in the field every morning I've been there. So here is my question....this is obviously an area these turkey frequent because they've been there every single morning I've hunted there both this season and last but how might I take these natural barriers out of the equation and/or use them to my advantage? Since the turkey deal with these boundaries every day should they even pose a real problem for me?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:38 PM

Default RE: Birds and Barriers...Any suggestions?

Geez....isn't anyone going to even attempt an answer????
Old 04-13-2005, 05:41 PM

i had 4 gobblers cross a creek to get to me last year, it was about a 6ft deep ditch about 20ft wide.

Mat
Old 04-13-2005, 06:32 PM

Every Tom is differnt. Also, each day they are in a differnt mood. One day he may not respond to a call, cross a stream or fence and the same bird the next day may come running in gobbling all the way.
These toms ran all the way across a pasture into another, crossing three fences, running all the way responding to the yelps of a hen. If they are in the mood and with no hens with them they will generally cross any Barriers

Old 04-13-2005, 06:35 PM

one more

Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 PM

I generally find the barriers such as fences, and use them to my advantage. A turkey tom in my area will generally travel up and down a fence, so i set up near a fence, and they normally come down the fenceline when I call. I also use roads, creeks, and other "barriers" to help get the tom into my range. hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I would setup right close along the fenceline. That way if they travel the fence you may be in a good position. Also be as close to the creek as possible so maybe you can get a shot off on each side. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the input folks. I'm still workin' on my strategy. Hunting the fence line is out because the field I would be hunting is private property, which I don't have permission to hunt. I will probably try to get on the other side of the creek next time I go. The side of the creek I walk in on has a lot of underbrush in some places but the other side is flat and open and the ravines aren't as big of a problem on that side. It just depends on where they are roosted when I go in that morning.

Oh...by the way thanks for the pics....they were awesome!